Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Sensor chart

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
  1. #41 Windowed sensor sizes? 
    If this has been posted before I can't find it: What is the windowed sensor size of 3K 16:9? I need to track some footage in boujou and this info will help with accuracy. It would great to have all the various windowed sizes on hand anyway, ideally on Brook's sensor chart at the beginning of this thread.

Scott Hulan Jones
    Jones Cinema Arts
    www.jonescinemaarts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Yeah but it's also small enough to mount on a remote controlled helicopter, motorcycle handlebars, or toss in a small backpack. And keep in mind that major films like Revenge of the Sith were shot on that size sensor.
    Tom it was all just fun. Hence clown.
    Result pictures will speak for itself.

btw Attack of the Clones was also shot with this and I think blacks were very noisy.
    Pleeease get me out of this 8 bit world!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H. Jones View Post
    If this has been posted before I can't find it: What is the windowed sensor size of 3K 16:9? I need to track some footage in boujou and this info will help with accuracy. It would great to have all the various windowed sizes on hand anyway, ideally on Brook's sensor chart at the beginning of this thread.
    Until someone writes in with the correct answer...

My best guess is that 3K 16x9 is 3072 x 1728 pixels. So if the RED ONE sensor is 24.4mm wide to get 4520 pixels, then that works out to be:

4K 16x9 = 4096 x 2304 / 22.11mm x 12.436mm
    3K 16x9 = 3072 x 1728 / 16.58mm x 9.326mm

But that's just a guess, I don't know what the official numbers are from RED.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

I really have to say that Revenge of the Sith, which I'm pretty sure was shot 4:4:4 on the F950, is possibly the cleanest, most beautiful 1080p video I have ever seen. It's just stunning. And the version I saw was some low-bandwidth broadcast cable 1080p encoded to an 8GB bit torrent mkv file!

Even as great as Baraka's 8K recent Bluray looks, in some ways, the Sith 1080p looks even cleaner and with better color. I don't know if this is scientifically possible, I'm just telling you what my eyes saw.

Have to agree, Tom. RotS looks very good.

As for Baraka Blu-Ray, I still need to check it out. I've heard a few reports that while it's overall very good, they let typical consumer delivery mentality take over and they screwed the transfer with excessive edge enhancements and detail sharpening. Essentially tweaking it so the transfer looks its best on a 46" 1080p display, so people with larger DLPs and projectors are not so happy. I guess I should see for myself, haven't watched that film in a long time anyway.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H. Jones View Post
    According to Deanan, just multiply pixel size, which on the Red One is 5.4microns, or .0054mm, by the number of pixels in each direction. So, .0054x3072=16.5888mm, by .0054x1728=9.3312mm

EDIT: Oops, sorry, David already posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Presley View Post
    I concur, 645 is a pain, but very rewarding!! There is something very special about MF.
    I have very fond memories of my old Bronica ETRs. Favourite camera for a long time and I just loved seeing those MF negs in the enlarger.

BTW, for those still interested so long after the conversation has moved on, the various popular MF sizes are/were: 6x4.5 (Bronica, Mamiya 645, Contax 645), 6x6 (Hassleblad, Bronica and a host of TLR's), 6x7 (Mamiya RB/RZ67, Pentax), 6x9 (mostly roll film adaptors for view cameras) and 6x17 (Panoramic cameras like Fuji, Linhof as well as roll film backs for view cameras). The majority of MF work done professionally would probably have been on 6x7 I would reckon. I was always frowned upon for my ETRs "little" neg but the RB67 used to kill me with it's weight, double wind and rotate the back not the camera. Never really got into the 35mm SLR type body until my D200.

OMG, can't believe how old some of those names make me feel:waaa:

Could somebody also post a physical comparison of R1 at 2k?
    Cheers
    Bettsy

Quote Originally Posted by bettsy View Post
    Could somebody also post a physical comparison of R1 at 2k?
    It would be rather close to 16mm/Super-16 in dimensions. If the 4096 recorded area is around 22mm wide, then the 2048 area is around 11mm wide -- 16mm camera aperture is 10.26mm wide and the Super-16 camera aperture is 12.52mm.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

For the mathematically challenged, the 2K 16:9 crop area on the RED One is 11mm x 6.22mm. That's a bit larger than 2/3", but smaller than S16.

And I see David answered it too.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

And what glass are we supposed to use with FF35? Canon and Nikon still lenses? I'm confused. I mean, standard PL cine glass will fully cover the FF35 sensor? Or will there be cropping?