I've been giving some thought to the RED ONE EVF ( electronic view finder ) Here's a few features that I'd like to see included or at least considered.
1. Look Around - this is the killer app, makes it better than all existing finders in one bold stroke. The Red team seems to be onto this already.
2. User hackable framelines. Perhaps we can load these in on the SD card? that way you can tweak and customize ad infinitum.
3. No camera info in the image area. ( the sony color HD finder uses some lo-res strips below the main for LCD Timecode, Batt and Warnings - this is a great idea. I hate the HVX for the clutter in the viewfinder. )
4. EVF can be run with a very long cable up to 50ft. - usefull for crane and car rigs also one of the buttons on the EVF can be uses to run / stop camera making it work as a remote too.
5. It's sometimes hard to know when electronic cinema cameras are running or not so perhaps having a cellphone/pager style vibration that activates when you when you hit RUN, and when you CUT. A long pulse for RUN and two short bursts when you CUT like you do with the bell signals while working on a soundstage. You'd want to be able to turn it off in some situations like timelapse. a Continuous pulse would be "warning" low battery or out of storage.
6. Focus Assist. Sounds like you are working on this already. It would be nice to have something you can use while shooting ( unlike HVX )
That's all for now - Cheers to SPIKE
DP, LA, IA 600