Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 4K BATTLE: Red , Phantom65 , Genesis and Dalsa

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 4K BATTLE: Red , Phantom65 , Genesis and Dalsa 
    Hi all ,
    it seems the battle is getting started:

RED : the most affordable with the most amount of features.
    www.red.com

PHANTOM 65 : i believe the most powerful rival for RED , best suited for visual-effects and slo-mo cinematography.
    www.visionresearch.com

Genesis : from the most famous camera producer , is gaining acceptability between DP's specially after shooting Mel Gibson's Apocalypto with it.
    www.panavision.com

Dalsa Origin : the first 4k claimer , i believe is losing the battle becouse has not yet updated the features.
    www.dalsa.com

what's your idea , who is the winner ?

i believe RED , becouse of it's marketing and management top strategies. but rivals are stronger , RED should speed-up, hmm ?

in the recent issue of American Cinematographer is an article about the Dalsa Origin. To make it short: The shoots (Commercial for Snickers amongst other) convinced the Cinematographers (Rolf Kestermann | David Stump, ASC). David Stump actually "loved the camera" and states that neither its size nor the needed tether bothered him. He also liked the optical viewfinder a lot.

Seems as if Dalsa is making some points...
    never heard of the Phantom 65 though... will go on reading ;-)

:o What is the Red camera??

sorry couldn't resist.

Emmanuel
    ecmp media production / Red Epic-X #457 / Red One Cameras MX #1276 & #6585 / Optimo 24-290 / 2 x Ruby 14-24 Zooms / 2 x Red Pro Primes / 2 x Red Pro 300mm / 2 x O'Connor 2575 D
    www.ecmp-prod.com

Russians have their own 4K camera. Check this out:
    http://www.kinor.ru/products/camera/dc4k/

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Milan, I don't think it's a 4k camera though as you need an anamorphic lens to get the 4k. I think the real pixel dimensions are nearer the quoted "flat" 2400x1350.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Yes, it does seem rather odd to claim in the specs that the resolution is suddenly magically greater when you use an anamorpthic (sic) lens!

Nick

Graeme, you are right, the sensor is 2400x1350 with standard lenses. What this anamorphic lens do to make it close to the 4K?

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Well, when you record the image with a flat lens, the sensor gives you 2400 pixels across. When you use an anamorphic lens, it squashes the light into that 2400 pixels. When you stretch the image back out in post (ie, scale it) the image looks "right" when it's 4000 pixels across, but those extra pixels are just rough guesstimates of what it really would have looked like if you'd had 4000 pixels. I'd expect it to be a very soft looking 4k. Anyone got any images from this interesting camera??

Graeme

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    najafi/didarfilm, why have you included Genesis which is a 1080p camera in the 4k "Battle"?

Graeme

It's a bit like cheap scanners, which often claim to have a resolution of "XXXX DPI (interpolated)"!

Nick