Thread: Drop Frames at Rock Concert?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I shot a Darius Rucker concert (country) with no problems. And I most certainly needed earplugs too. It's weird that some concerts are just fine with the RED drives, and some are horrible...

Matthew

Im in Manila, Philippines right now, where I just finished working as DP on a 10 RED camera production featuring the band Journey in concert here. As you might guess, Journey has an enormous sound system which cranks out some serious DB and vibration.

All the cameras close to speakers and/or vibration sources used RED Drives mounted with ET Shock Mounts and ET Speedy Clamps. After the concert I helped the DIT team backup all the RED Drives that were used, and we verified all the files, meticulously scrubbing through them. We had absolutely zero dropped frames, which matched what the camera operators reported, that their cameras showed no dropped frames in the dropped frame indicator box in their EVFs.

I've yet to experience dropped frames when using an ET Shock Mount with the RED Drive - in concerts, speeding boats, in helicopters, on bumpy cars, etc.

Media Consultant, Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?fh44=1 (Artbeats Gibby RED Collection)

Not shooting a concert, but I recently went through a job with lots of dropped frames. We were shooting in a foundry, molten metal and all that, heavy machinery... Lots of low frequency vibrations, magnetic fields, etc.. RED Drives were useless, even on ET shock mounts! CF cards couldn't record long enough because of where we were positioning the camera a lot of times, too much hassle to change very few minutes. Had to buy the RED RAM. :)
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

I have shot (produced) several concerts with 4-5 RED ONEs, and although we have had a dropped frame here and there we have gotten by without serious issues, but we have protected our drives:

I have had a lot of luck taking out the screws and the rails in the cradle - then packing the drive gently in molton, and slipping it back in securing it with tape - this mostly works very well.

I had a RED ONE on a Moviebird crane, right in front of the main speakers for a (loud) two hour concert, and we had some issues during the sound check, so I loosly wrapped molton 4-5 layers around it and strapped it to the camera, we had 44 dropped frames over 2 hrs.

We have used the Element Technica mount also, but I never trusted it for the cams close to the speakers - as I thought the vibrations working directly on the surface of the disk would be a problem that the rubber bands couldn´t cope with. But after reading several testimonials on here, I will do more testing next gig.

In conclusion, when shooting Live shows with loud sound, you absolutely need to take precautions, if you use the cradle (unmodified) - you will get dropped frames. But you could do well by improvising with fabric and tape...

I hope RED will adress this issue in future versions.

EDIT:misspellings...
    RED EPIC-X DRAGON #250, EPIC-M #646, EPIC-X #7139, Scarlet Dragon-X #4919, RED ONE #476 MX "MOTHER"
    Commercials | Live | Concerts | Corporate | RED rentals
    Red Pro Primes T1.8: 18,25,35,50,85,100 (all metric), red CF zoom 18-50 T3 (imperial), Red Pro Zoom 17-50mm T2.9 (m), Red zoom 50-150 T3 (m) + 300mm T2.8 (i)
    Leica Summilux-C series on order.
    www.groovyentertainment.com/english/

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right. ~Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Eirik Tyrihjel View Post
    I hope RED will adress this issue in future versions.
    I'm betting that the days of cheap and reliable solid state media are nearly upon us and the current RED Drive will be the last we see of motion or vibration sensitive media. ...I hope.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

Those of you who somehow experienced a few dropped frames when using the ET Shock Mount may want to re-think how you're mounting the RED Drive/ET Shock Mount to the camera. Ever since I received the prototype Shock Mounts I beta tested (over a year ago), and since I received my production versions of the Shock Mount, I have consistently mounted the drive/shock mount combo to an 15mm or 19mm rod via the ET Speedy Clamp. I believe the drive/shock mount combo is a little more resistant to vibration of any kind or frequency when mounted by the Speedy Clamps to an aluminum or fiber rod. Perhaps the single small contact point to the camera of the clamp lessens the amount of contact surface with the camera.

The camera, lens, and accessories can act as "radar dishes" to pick up airborne vibrations, thus the more surface area you have on the camera and its accessories, the more airborne vibration the camera picks up. Our shoulder held cameras in this 10 RED camera Journey concert all used small zoom lenses, no matte boxes, and thus very little surface area to collect airborne vibrations. Beyond that, all those shoulder held RED cameras, which were mounted on ET Mantis rigs, had the RED Drive/ET Shock Mount/Speedy Clamp combo mounted transverse and low on the camera smart side on a 15mm aluminum or fiber rod, thus the drive/shock mount was not sticking way up in the air like a vibration collecting radar dish. I do also believe the aluminum or fiber rods transmit very little vibration from the camera through the Speedy Clamp.

Again, 10 RED cameras, all using RED Drives, in a super loud concert arena, with the cameras near heavy noise/vibration areas all using ET Shock Mounts on the drives, connected to the camera by ET Speedy Clamps - and not one single dropped frame from any camera. The proofs in the testing - but as DP for the Journey production, and having used the Shock Mount/Speedy Clamp solution for a year now in shaky/vibration situations, I expected no dropped frames - and that's exactly what we got.

I'm not disputing that some of you may actually have found ways to get dropped frames when using an ET Shock Mount. What I am saying is if you re-think how/where you're mounting the shock mount/drive combo, and cut back on vibration collecting accessories, you'll find you'll probably be able to eliminate dropped frames altogether.

Media Consultant, Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    http://www.artbeats.com/footage/search?fh44=1 (Artbeats Gibby RED Collection)

Quote Originally Posted by brent j. Craig View Post
    spinning at 7200rpm