Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: 720p 59.94 > 720p25?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 720p 59.94 > 720p25? 
    Got a tonne of footage we captured that had to be 60 or 59.95 fps.So some at both

Need to convert to SD (pal) so looking for suggestions on best route to 720P25 then I can just scale on output.

Would this be best option ? http://www.nattress.com/Products/sta...GConverter.htm

Would be prefrable to drop every other frame in FCP6 (possible?)
    to begin with due to tearing on capture.(don't ask :-/)

Cheers

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Nope, mine is for interlaced video, not progressive....
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Ok thanks Graeme.

Been thinking normal capture route would equal interlaced PAL ( from the device were capturing) So a conversion from 60P to 30i (29) then to 25i.. possible?

Have you seen this one?
    Atlantis
    Does an intelligent 60i to 25p conversion, I've not used it, but the method seems good.

The description of Atlantis seems to refer to starting from interlaced material, be that SD or HD. No mention of starting with 720p60. You could still apply the method they describe manually in After FX or Shake. Or you could try Shake's optical flow conversion - if you can afford the huge render times!

One thing to bear in mind is that the 720p60 material will (I'm assuming) have a 1/120th shutter speed, so you will need to blend at least two frames together to get something approximating a 180 degree shutter angle at 25p.

Yes, I'm assuming you'd first process the 60p to 60i.... but then.. yeah a good point about the shutter angle.... just depends how fast things are moving as to how good a blend of 2 180 degree shutter frames will look though.

The plus on Atlantis is intelligent deinterlacing, similar to Magic Bullet et al, although as you're downsizing 720p to SD, you may have enough resolution to play with that the differences are minimal.

Cheers chaps.It's captured from a games console.. to end up back in game. But now has uses elswhere hence then conversion question.

Think I'll interlace to 60P to 30i then retime to 25 in shake. See how that goes..as it's for broadcast.. fast moving.. think interlaced is a better option than trying to re-create enough motion blur. Fast turn around etc..

Cheers again..

S

Just been checking out Graham's plugins.... and it does say it'll do 720HD60p to 720HD24p, for Varicam users......

9.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #9  
    Yes, it does 60p to 24p, but that's not 50i or 25p :-) FCP will do 60p to 24p with no blending so it's ok, if sometimes a touch jerky, but then you could use cinema tools to speed to 25p.

I could write a 60p to 50i conversion, but I don't have the time for that at the moment.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 8k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    IPP2, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms

Thanks Graham, seemed a possible route to me, although, yeah, some more steps to add. Being PC based I've not been keeping up with your plugins, and wow, you've been adding a lot of features. Nice stuff :-)