Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Laptop Or Tower?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Jonathan L. Bowen's Avatar
    Interesting. I'm just not very tech savvy when it comes to building my own computers, or really doing much hardware related stuff, so I generally have just trusted companies to put together the system for me, fearing that if I bought third party stuff it wouldn't be as effective or whatever.

I shouldn't be too harsh on Apple.
    While Apple doesn't manufacture RAM themselves, they DO buy the best quality RAM available from various companies.

Here is a guide to installing third-party RAM in a MacBook Pro.
    Don't worry, this does NOT void your warranty.

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacB...pper-Case/85/4

Many people recommend Crucial which is a storefront for Micron. Micron is one of the best RAM manufacturers.

Just make sure you don't get Kingston Value RAM or any super cheap generic RAM not specifically guaranteed to work in your machine.

I usually go with OWC http://www.macsales.com

Solar System Studio / Havana, Cuba

Senior Member Keith Alan Morris's Avatar
    Curran, you're an FX guy. Do you think I can get away with a laptop? I have to get one or the other. Which will be hard as hell because I'm used to having both... (I've been working on Macs for graphics/effects since Photoshop 1.)

Senior Member Keith Alan Morris's Avatar
    Sigh... You are so right, Registra...

With RED there is no capturing necessary. You could (later this year) plug your RED-DRIVE (or other recording media) directly into your laptop, and drop files directly from mounted drive into FCP timeline and start editing if you wanted to.

I have never owned a laptop, so I would have stick with a Mac Pro, even if I have to drag it to a production set someday just to do a "one light" in Redcine, before handing the data off to the client.

That said, the new MacBook Pro's are more powerfull then my dual 2.5 G5 that I'm currently using and plan to use for another year or so. Luckily my friend and FCP editor just got the new 8-core so I can use his machine for Redcine etc.

Solar System Studio / Havana, Cuba

Out of curiosity, does anyone think a 24" Imac would be usable (Upgrade memory to max of 3GB)? I don't mean for extensive work, simply for doing a bit of editing, a bit of colour correcting and generally for familiarising ones self with FCS2 so that you can advise people when shooting about how the shot might be handled in post?

I don't want to be an editor or cc but I do feel it is important to have a firm understanding of it as well as the capability to simply preview your footage on an ok machine and create reels or test footage etc.

I anticipate handing over footage to a proper post house or simply to the client in most cases but I also foresee times when I might want to make my own smaller stuff, such as straight to web or a reel for my website.

What do you think? Good enough or not?

KM9000, Check out hd for indies from today; speed comparisons with mac book pro versus quad tower.
    Aloha
    -A
    Alex Viarnes
    Poi Boy Productions

Bare Feats always has great speed comparisons, take a visit.

http://barefeats.com/octopro5.html
    http://barefeats.com/
    November 3rd is likely to be the most watched day in Reduser history. It will be well worth it.

-Jim Jannard

Something
    Coming
    At
    Rediculously
    Low
    Expense
    Treatment

Everything
    Put
    In
    Context

Another thing, Keith: I would wait as long as possible to get the editing station. If this is intended to work with RED footage primarily, wait until yours is shipped before ordering your computer. Better and cheaper models will undoubtedly arrive before RED is in your hands, so buy as late as possible.

If you need it now, I'd still go for the desktop. Heck, you already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse from your previous system. Or you could get a refurbished Mac Pro Quad 2.66GHz Intel Xeon for $2199 and a MacBook for $1099 and get the best of both worlds.
    Jaime Vallés

AJV Media
    Video, photography & graphic design
    www.ajvmedia.com

Senior Member Jonathan L. Bowen's Avatar
    Jaime -- that's good advice as far as waiting on the computer. That's where we are right now. We have two new laptops on order, but as for the expensive desktop we're waiting until just before the RED ships so that we can take advantage of any new upgrades or price breaks that will inevitably come in the next 6-8 months.