I may need to buy a cheap FF, to use until my viewfactor FF arrives.
I've been looking at the microFollowFocus v2 - has anyone any experience of this FF yet?
well - I just got mine - I haven't used it for anything but testing, but it is very well built. feels quite solid. Just my 1st impressions from a Nikon user. YMMV with "real" lens :-)
- Very solid, no flimsy parts
- trivial if not zero backlash when dialed in
- standard sized port for whips and cranks
- native 15mm support size ( for my smaller rig)
- support ( I was a m2 customer before I bled Red)
Cons: (not necessarily cons of the FF2, just how I am using it)
- It is difficult for me to make adjustments for gear distance with the 19mm riser. This is a behavior of using short nikkor lens (20mm 2.8,50mm 1.4, etc), but a issue for me none the less.
- The lens gears can obscure the distance window on some lens. BUT - some of those lens have traveling rings, so this may also be a pro. the gears are thick enough to accommodate the travel.
- the marking indicator could be a bit thicker - I have snagged it already. We will see how that bit works out.
- just like nascar, left turn only - It would be nice to have both sides active, but I can work around that
Just as my research suggested, for the money there is no competition. It is a solid instrument and looks to be in my kit for years to come. I am sure that the Arri FF4 is better, but I don't know about 2K better.
(pics for reference, when I was searching, I didn't find any closeups, so here are some. Sorry for the shallowness of these, basement is dark)
not much play at all - I find that some my nikon lens have a bit of slop in them, so the minuscule play that I do feel is probably in the lens..
|« Previous Thread | Next Thread »|