Thread: Vegas 9 and RED

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm a long time Vegas supporter and have used the software since before version 3. However, FCP/Color and Clipfinder are quite powerful tools and have become more mainstream from what I've observed. I have Vegas 8 and I've grown out of the interface. It is the most intuitive timeline and fastest realtime editor hands down, but it seems to lack the quality and fit/finish of FCP or Avid. The color correction has always felt a few steps behind Apple's Color.

I'm curious to hear user's opinions on the new Ver 9 who are FCP regulars.

I work in both and have been involved using all three platforms. Avid, FCP and Vegas. I do prefer the colour results pertaining to RED now. I just finished a RED project in FCP and the results are great, but honestly was such a work around when you are used to the speed of Vegas.

This new project I'm editing in Vegas now is going very fast and colour is colour....you need to manipulate it until it feels good to you. The workflow in Vegas literally wins hands down. But it is quite unstable...let's see if the patch will make it better. The other benfit with FCP is it is very stable. Thanks to apple. So My theory is use the right tool for the job...If you like apple use it and if you like vegas use it.

I have seen some crap work and good work come out of both. Use you initiative and exploit your tools to get the best result.

1) been a Vegas beta tester on Vegas 2 - 8 ... and again after V9 was released ...

for my projects = they do not need to go to another person/company ..i finish out to Blu Ray ....
    when i received my Red back in Dec 2007 .. i tried FCP , tried it .. workflow ended up FCP out to 2k cineform ... edit 2k cineform in Vegas ...
    then RED announced Red plug in for Premiere - bought CS3 .. plug in was delayed ... ugraded to CS4 ... tried it ...

then Vegas 9 released !!! what a thrill to drop r3d clips in TL in any kind of project ( SD, HDV, HD, 2k,4k , or make up your own size project ), pan/crop, etc ...there were some problems = it kept crashing when adjusting the debayer properties and many times when rendering ... about all i can say is i'm no longer seeing those problems ..

i find Vegas FAST & stable ... i do use after effects ( use intermediate between them)
    now if i had to edit and then pass the project onto to others to finish/edit etc. then ? i might have to rethink about which NLE to use ..

I haven't tried this yet, but was hoping someone had tested using OpenExr files between AE and Vegas. For HD/DVD delivery that would seem to be a good workfflow if Vegas accurately supports EXR files.