Thread: 1.6 terra bites per disk.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 1.6 terra bytes per disk. 
    Other options of using existing tech with a twist.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/80...-5-dimensions/

Variations of this are very do-able in time/money.
    "Any smaller and it would be vaporware."

In layman's terms.

Banned
    heres a link from engadget that is a bit easier to understand too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8060082.stm

It's similar in concept to holographic storage media. But rather than using multi-faceted write surfaces, it uses a media that actually accounts for different laser properties. Interesting concept, but it seems to me that the media with the high concentration of position-specific gold rods would be prohibitively expensive.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

It seems like we always hear about this type of technology, and then it never materializes.

Tom, Patience. Reverse engineering the stuff found at a crash site takes time! :)
    EPIC-X: #1908 "Ataraxia"
    O'connor 2060HD support
    www.napavalleyhd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Skinner View Post
    Tom, Patience. Reverse engineering the stuff found at a crash site takes time! :)
    Which is why Red is always making sure to remind us that their deadlines are subject to change. I'm pretty sure every bit of their stuff is alien.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    It seems like we always hear about this type of technology, and then it never materializes.
    The funny thing is, many of the biggest technological advances that we see now never really had any advance fanfare.

Ten years ago a one Terabyte Hard Drive just seemed like a ludicrous notion. I remember reading an article where IBM researchers said they had developed a technology that would allow a 3.5" Hard disk to record up to 100 Gigabytes, (!) but the catch was, there was no possible way of playing back the data! Then, a couple of years later somebody discovered Giant Magnetoresistance, and now One Terabyte drives are becoming old hat.

I don't think anybody predicted how huge and cheap flash drives would get. Anybody remember floppy discs?

Nobody predicted how cheap and good flat-panel displays would get, and how fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Skinner View Post
    Plus the screws are all friggin' metric

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    It's similar in concept to holographic storage media. But rather than using multi-faceted write surfaces, it uses a media that actually accounts for different laser properties. Interesting concept, but it seems to me that the media with the high concentration of position-specific gold rods would be prohibitively expensive.
    To say nothing of the tri-color laser.