Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Release Date yet?

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    I don't believe preorders will be taken, except maybe for the Epic-X trade-ins from the Red Ones that are out there.

Banned
    More of the same I am sure. But after seeing the low light potential of the new Canons I am going to be hesitant to drop a few grand on anything that can't achieve the same. Honestly I think the Epic upgrades will be revolutionary but the Scarlet is a concept that is outdated and missed it's window.

I think Scarlet's "window" is still open. Based primarily on the better codec, but predict it will close soon.

Quote Originally Posted by james anselm View Post
    More of the same I am sure. But after seeing the low light potential of the new Canons I am going to be hesitant to drop a few grand on anything that can't achieve the same. Honestly I think the Epic upgrades will be revolutionary but the Scarlet is a concept that is outdated and missed it's window.
    How can you compare the two? Scarlet and the video on DSLR's are two different breeds... sure the 5D/7D does well in low light but that's just one very small part of the equation... not to mention H.264

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    ditto... completely different beasts in my opinion.

low light ain't everything. Possibly is for you as indicated by your post, but for many others there are numerous other factors to consider.
    Landmine Media

Honestly I think the Epic upgrades will be revolutionary but the Scarlet is a concept that is outdated and missed it's window.
    Out of date? You call a modular system and 3k "out of date"? Are you from the future?

I for one am waiting with baited breath for the release of Scarlet. If it can deliver on its promise it will be an amazing tool for indy filmmakers who loath the majority of options available to them (HDV, H.264, ugh...).

Canada's film industry is an impoverished anemic mess. There are less and less funds available, most of what does exist goes to the same people in the same clique-ish circle leaving many to struggle on their own to fund their projects. A camera such as this would certainly help level the playing field in terms of access to the opportunity to work in high quality.

I'm focused on documentaries, so the short recording time of the video DSLRs is an automatic dealbreaker. I love the idea of locking down the Scarlet and shooting a wide shot of my interviewee against blue screen and being able to play with reframing the 3k footage for a 1080 finish. I was able to get away with some using the nice quality from the Sony EX1 (see teaser at http://apastdenied.ca for example) with reframing in Motion, but still not as great as starting out with 3k.

If the Scarlets have gained a stop and half over R1 with less noise then they will be very close to the low light sensitivity of a 5DII if not equal to it. The Canons are the anachronisms with mirror reflex systems and 4fps raw max frame rates. Not designed to be primary motion cameras at all. Nice still cams though.
    As an old 16mm for video shooter, I have never been satisfied with the video quality of any under $10k camera system in the last 20 years. Scarlet is the first digital video camera system under 10k that holds the promise of performing on par with film in most respects, perhaps even better in some ways.

Drum roll.... .... ... ... .. . . . ... .. ..

Todays is the day

btw... 12 hours to go!