- Much of what I'm going to discuss is based on what has been said by Red peeps, renders, show mockups, and some speculation.
- I'm not second guessing Red's design, as it seems incredibly well thought out. I am just wondering if additional options are possible.
- The EPIC/SCARLET brains can natively used with a Redmote attached to the back
- Attaching additional modules to a brain first requires attaching a "single space" adapter to the brain via bolts (4?).
- The adapter in turn provides the quick-release Red-Lock (my name, not Red's) mechanical interface for the remaining modules
- This design is to avoid having to enlarge the brain chassis size to accomodate the Red-Lock mechanism when there are times when you may choose to not have modules attached and want to be as compact as possible by default.
-The adapter passes thru the bus I/O electrical connections, and has no active electronics of it's own
Would it be possible to provide an adapter that takes advantage of that single space module to provide something in addition to just the Red-Lock and pass through connection?
The CF and SSD modules already demonstrate that it's possible to have a single-space module that has the Red-Lock mecahnism in it, has the bus I/O electrical connectors on it, AND has active electronics in it.
I would guess (and could well be wrong) that the only significant difference would be designing the internal module electronics package with 4 pass-thru boltholes. If it's too crowded in there already, could a single-CF unit (rather than a double+SD) accomodate the holes?
It would seem like that might be quite a few things that a single-space module might be able to do while at the same time being the mechanical adapter... and thus take advantage of that space: USB cam contrrol module, WiFi module, FireWire module, etc...
Basically it would be nice to have an "adapter flavor" (in addition to the normal flavor) of any of the single space modules, providing the bolt-holes necessary don't make that impossible.