Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Sprinter Van

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Sprinter Van 
    Hi all, I'm getting ready to do the interior of my Sprinter Van and know that a few people here have already completed the process, so any advice would be helpful. I'm planning to section the cargo area into... A; a gear storage area for lights, flags, jib, dolly, camera and such, and B; a multi-purpose area accessed via the sliding side door, which would contain portable capture/edit/preview and voice over capabilities.

Now trying to pick your brain on things like generator mount brackets, power inverter/battery solutions, insulation, external breakouts and such.
    Also, does anybody use Sam's Club heavy duty steel shelving for gear storage?

Thanks!

Dave

2. #2 interior layout 
    We have built out MANY trucks for shows over the years. The best way is to put in E-track along the Sprinter walls horizontally and then build modular units out of square stock steal. med. guage to as heavy as you want. Tech screw 5/8 birch tops and varnish. everything has its own CRATE that straps in. you don't always need everything and sometimes you need more room (multi-camera show for example). If you know a fabricator its not that expensive if you grind the welds and paint the modular frames, and build the tops.you can also carpet shelves,. just have him weld rings that you attach with a wratchet strap that has E-clips you clip right into sprinter.Put pnuematic wheels on all your shelves and you will be very happy.(smart wheels on one end only)
    regards
    Frank Martin
    Powerhouse Filme
    IATSE 600 DoP
    http://frankmartin.zenfolio.com/

Frank clearly knows what he is talking about. E Track is the best way to go, keeps everything modular and tiedowns are really fast. If you need additional (permanent) mounting points inside the van "blind bolts" installed with a drill, C-wrench and socket wrench is another option.
    David Winters
    DP - Orange County CA

I love the fact that contextually, the Sprinter van is an accessory to the Red... :)

If anyone has pictures of truck setups, I'd love to see how other people around the world go about it.
    Alexis Vanier
    Montréal, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Alexis Vanier View Post
    I love the fact that contextually, the Sprinter van is an accessory to the Red... :)
    Absolutely,
    I had a Range Rover as my go anywhere shoot-mobile that had racks & platform on top, but unfortunately it was totaled in an accident.
    I don't need a full size G&E truck most of the time and can always rent one when I do. The Sprinter seemed like the perfect choice. Large enough to hold what I need for 99% of the stuff I do, it gets great gas mileage, and I can stand-up in it. It's a rather large Red accessory.

Thanks for the heads up on the E-Track, I had forgotten all about it.

talk to Blair Paulsen

How about a sprinter steadivan. Works on both sides and out the rear.
    Attached Images

David,

What year RR? I am thinking of kitting my RR out and would love to see what you did to yours.
    Epic-X #1763, "Phase III"

Red #6732, "Dunsmore"
    (Dunsmore, Scottish Heritage)

www.squawthedocumentary.com

www.projectarbiter.com

Hi David,

I'm not sure of the details but here is a basic setup from some guys based in newcastle UK.

http://www.steadi-red.com/Camera_Truck.html

It may be worthwhile contacting them.

hope it helps.

Senior Member Costelloe Michael's Avatar
    Hey Guys,

The Steadi Red is certainly eye catching, I wouldn't mind one of these for myself. Shouldn't be too hard to find it though with all the advertising on the side. Did it occur to anyone else that it may just encourage the wrong sort of interest?

I would add a couple of needs to any van spec. It has to have space for what you most need to carry. Magliners fully built for quick in's and outs, so possibly a ramp also. Probably 8' lengths of track, even for smaller dollies. Payload for ladderpod is pretty useful. Room for a couple of Eazi Ups in case of inclement weather. The rest is pretty much obvious, shelving, inverter, interior lighting, 16a input on ceeform, camera bench with baseplate, oh and a coffee machine!

Mike C