Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: October 30th Announcement Feedback

Closed Thread
Page 83 of 180 FirstFirst ... 337379808182838485868793133 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Garrison View Post
    btw: all posts that are critical of Red are being deleted by Jarred or buried in complaint thread, where nobody can find them

smack anyone of other Red regimes (Mao, USSR)?
    No it's called trimming the fat or reducing the noise. Complaints posted in the Complaint Department are there for all to see.

There have been tons of posts deleted for that cause, and actually most of them were not complaints. In fact, there has been far more deleted postings of "fanboy noise" with these recent events than any real complaints.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - EPIC-M Package Available! Over 1TB SSD media, RPP's & more.

List of all current RED software tools.

83 pages. My brain in numb. Looking forward to November 30.

So, Jim's Oct. 30th post #26(http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.ph...3&postcount=26) is rotated to give us the most revealing view of the "far side" of the gunner configuration yet:

Musings:

1) Is the handle on the far side part of the gunner accessory?

2) That handle has an interesting shape. It has a "ridged" portion along it's length, as if to curl your fingers around. Additionally the cylindrical portion gives way to a wedge-shaped upper portion... then it's unclear if we are seeing the beginning of a thumb cut-out, or if that's a shroud of some sort around the mic in front of the handle. Hard to tell. This looks like it may be some sort of pistol ergo-grip... perhaps with some control functionality to it? Does it rotate?

3) Is the "shotgun mic" portion of the gunner offest to our "near side" in that picture, allowing for a gear to engage the bottom center of the lens? It appears that the locking slider along the top of the gunner may be to adjust an engagement for different lenses? Does the handgrip slide with it and control that gear?

4) It appears that the "shrouds" nearests us and on the bottom on that picture also slide/adjust. Is this all part of the sliding mechanism to accomodate the lens gear adjustment?

Lots of interesting details in that render...

-sc

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caesare View Post

1) Is the handle on the far side part of the gunner accessory?

2) That handle has an interesting shape. It has a "ridged" portion along it's length, as if to curl your fingers around. Additionally the cylindrical portion gives way to a wedge-shaped upper portion... then it's unclear if we are seeing the beginning of a thumb cut-out, or if that's a shroud of some sort around the mic in front of the handle. Hard to tell. This looks like it may be some sort of pistol ergo-grip... perhaps with some control functionality to it? Does it rotate?

3) Is the "shotgun mic" portion of the gunner offest to our "near side" in that picture, allowing for a gear to engage the bottom center of the lens? It appears that the locking slider along the top of the gunner may be to adjust an engagement for different lenses? Does the handgrip slide with it and control that gear?

4) It appears that the "shrouds" nearests us and on the bottom on that picture also slide/adjust. Is this all part of the sliding mechanism to accomodate the lens gear adjustment?

Lots of interesting details in that render...

-sc
    I think you have it pretty much figured out, Steven. I wonder if the nearest "shroud" as you call it adjusts to let the microphone move in and out depending on the length of the lens that is mounted. It looks like the pushbutton in the end of the shroud could engage/disengage a tab that locks into the diagonal "tracks" next to the microphone. Not sure what the shroud on the bottom does, that one has me somewhat baffled.

I do agree that the grip on the other side is an ergonomic grip that is ridged on the front side and tapered/cutout on the back side. I would really like to see this from the other side!

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Greenberg; 11-01-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    RED EPIC DRAGON, Schneider Xenon FF's, Letus Helix
    Contax Zeiss primes upgraded by RP Lens, REDucation Feb. 2012
    Cinematography & Post Faculty, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI, USA

5.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    The Gunner rig is really something you need to see (and feel) in person... its a bit hard to explain how it works (although you guys are doing a pretty good job)

You got the sliding part right.. all the accessories you see are on rails, they slide back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    The Gunner rig is really something you need to see (and feel) in person
    Your place or mine? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Weiss View Post
    Your place or mine? ;)
    Can I watch?

The Gunner rig is really something you need to see (and feel) in person... its a bit hard to explain how it works (although you guys are doing a pretty good job)

You got the sliding part right.. all the accessories you see are on rails, they slide back and forth.
    Jarred, are you willing to confirm whether or not that it deos engage the lens gears? That is, does it provide some lens control?

That part has been speculated upon, but not confirmed AFAIK. And you can't really tell what's inside that little "cradle" that's snugged up to the bottom of the front lens gear. The fact that the cradle is angled with respect the lens gear teeth, and it appears you can "see daylight" thru the section where I'd expect to see mating gear teeth makes it a bit of a mystery.

(You are always, of course, welcome to post video of the Gunner in action, if that's easier than trying to explain it. ;) )
    Thanks.

-sc

Thanks, Jarred! As someone who is new to this forum and the RED camera world in general, after reading all 80+ pages of this thread, I have to say that I am blown away by your (and Jim's and all the other RED folks) willingness to share time and information with us. The technology, engineering and manufacturing precision evident in all the RED products in quite amazing, IMO. I have been in this industry for a long time, and you guys set a new standard in communication, transparency and helpfulness. I hope everyone here appreciates how lucky they are that you guys care so much!

Just my .02...

Tom
    RED EPIC DRAGON, Schneider Xenon FF's, Letus Helix
    Contax Zeiss primes upgraded by RP Lens, REDucation Feb. 2012
    Cinematography & Post Faculty, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI, USA

I'm very pleased to hear the lens for the fixed 2/3 Scarlet is finished. I was certain that the lens itself would delay the release. Good news, good news!