Thread: OFFHOLLYWOOD rolls on world's first 4.5K 3D feature!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Congrats Mark, man those are some sci-fi cam set ups!
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Wow Congrats!

Good luck with the shoot!!

We have also been shooting a 3D feature called Julia X here in Sherevport, LA for the last 6 weeks. We also using build 21 and the transvideo monitor. We decided to shoot 4k 16:9 as 4.5k was not the aspect ratio the director wanted. From the pics looks like we using the same lenses too!

I'm the DIT/camera assistant. The DP/Stereographer is Jason Goodman of 21st century 3D. We are using 21st Century 3D beam splitters. We wrap on Nov 25th. If you need any additional help, my schedule will be open : ) But it sound like you have a great team out there. Nawlins in so much fun! A bunch of our crew went down there for Halloween....

Call me if you need anything 310.592.8450. Like I said I'll be in Shereveport til the 25th...

We shooting in some amazing locations, I wish I could post some pictures!
    ---------------------------------
    Pedro Guimaraes, SOC
    IATSE Local 600 - Operator

Steadicam-Gimbals / Underwater / 3D cinema
    C-Motion Cvolution Wireless lens control 8 motor system for rent.
    Handsfree Segway for rent
    Ronin/Movi gimbals for Rent
    www.pgfilms.tv - Bio&Reel
    www.steadi3d.com - BLog
    www.cinemilled.com - Gimbal accessories & other cinema products

Great news Mark, congrats.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Guimaraes View Post
    Wow Congrats!

Good luck with the shoot!!

We have also been shooting a 3D feature called Julia X here in Sherevport, LA for the last 6 weeks. We also using build 21 and the transvideo monitor. We decided to shoot 4k 16:9 as 4.5k was not the aspect ratio the director wanted. From the pics looks like we using the same lenses too!

I'm the DIT/camera assistant. The DP/Stereographer is Jason Goodman of 21st century 3D. We are using 21st Century 3D beam splitters. We wrap on Nov 25th. If you need any additional help, my schedule will be open : ) But it sound like you have a great team out there. Nawlins in so much fun! A bunch of our crew went down there for Halloween....

Call me if you need anything 310.592.8450. Like I said I'll be in Shereveport til the 25th...

We shooting in some amazing locations, I wish I could post some pictures!
    Pedro,

what system are you using for 3D Video Assist?
    Vlado Struhar
    IN2CORE
    www.qtakehd.com

THanks for the updates Mark! Congrats and keep it coming.
    cheers.
    Clay Haskell, ICG
    Director - Writer - Cinematographer

LOS ANGELES - NYC - BERLIN

SHOWREEL | haskellfilms

Congratulations, Mark. I wish you the best and I look forward to seeing more photos.

I attached a photo from your blog that shows someone working on the footage from a laptop. What software is he using?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Ortiz View Post
    Congratulations, Mark. I wish you the best and I look forward to seeing more photos.

I attached a photo from your blog that shows someone working on the footage from a laptop. What software is he using?

Thanks!
    Luis, it's not a laptop. It is QTAKE HD Software running on MacPro & AJA Kona3.
    It provides Live 3D processing of dual SDI stream, 3D Playback and 3D Editing on set.

www.qtakehd.com
    Vlado Struhar
    IN2CORE
    www.qtakehd.com

8. #18 3D video assist? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlado Struhar View Post
    Pedro,

what system are you using for 3D Video Assist?
    Well I've used qtake on a 3D music video, works great. Congrats on a great product BTW. It was suggested to production, as was the Rave 3D Live system. But neither solution was used.

So besides the transvideo monitor we do not have a 3D video assist. In the end it's no big deal really. The only person that needs to see a 2 camera overlay (transvideo) is the stereographer anyway.

Frankly, (no offense) I've found that 3D viewing on set for anybody other that the stereographer can sometimes be a detrimental. It tends to slow things down because "people" tend to huddle around. It distracts people from thier jobs and most importantly sooner or later makes everyone think they are a 3D expert and sooner or later making the stereographers job much harder! hehe....

Most importantly on a movie like ours that has lots of set shifts in difficult locations setting up a large DLP TV, mac pro computer/Rack unit etc etc.....can be problematic to impossible. We shooting in remote fields, swamps, on boats, ankle deep mud, abandoned buildings etc.... Looking back at some of our locations just moving the camera was a challenge at times. It would of been extremely difficult to transport and setup in some of our shooting conditions. I mean we have been shooting under constant rain and if it was not raining we were making rain! We have been battling water all the time. GFI was working overtime and power was up and down at times.

We do have a data management center back at our apartment were we verify and back up the days data to Raid servers/drives. There we view 2D dailies and can view 3D dailies using FCP and dashwood plugin connected to a 60" DLP. In this calm controlled environment only select people can review 3D dailies. The system has worked out great for the production and for the camera crew.

Naturally, having a bigger budget all this could be different. Money makes everything easier! More crew to move equipment around, dedicated video assist team etc....So I think in the end that is probably what will determine alot of what I'm talking about. For the budget and crew size on our movie, I think our solution is working out great.

I've been on some set's this last 2 years I've been working with 3D productions, where time spent watching and discussing 3D playback on set could of been better spent actually shooting and making the day. Just my opinion. Hire a talented experienced stereographer and trust his stereo decisions. A experienced stereographer can setup shots just based on visible parallax on a overlay, 3D glasses not even need be on set really.

naturally before I come off a bit negative, there are a LOT of reasons to have it as well! Producers can see on set exactly what there spending all that extra money on......cast can really see and "get" how 3D is adding to thier performance or if they need to tone something down etc... set dressers can put on glasses and get inspiration or adjust things in the scene that may be distracting in a 3D sense..........like I said, there are also lots of reasons to have it as well!

To me, it's kinda of the same debate as having on set coloring.....

In the end, each situation is different. But as I pointed out there is alot to consider. Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. Adjust your tools to your budget and or situation!

Time to got to sleep! 8:30pm call today......all this night shooting is killing me. 1 more week to go....
    ---------------------------------
    Pedro Guimaraes, SOC
    IATSE Local 600 - Operator

Steadicam-Gimbals / Underwater / 3D cinema
    C-Motion Cvolution Wireless lens control 8 motor system for rent.
    Handsfree Segway for rent
    Ronin/Movi gimbals for Rent
    www.pgfilms.tv - Bio&Reel
    www.steadi3d.com - BLog
    www.cinemilled.com - Gimbal accessories & other cinema products

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Guimaraes View Post
    Well I've used qtake on a 3D music video, works great. Congrats on a great product BTW. It was suggested to production, as was the Rave 3D Live system. But neither solution was used.

So besides the transvideo monitor we do not have a 3D video assist. In the end it's no big deal really. The only person that needs to see a 2 camera overlay (transvideo) is the stereographer anyway.

Frankly, (no offense) I've found that 3D viewing on set for anybody other that the stereographer can sometimes be a detrimental. It tends to slow things down because "people" tend to huddle around. It distracts people from thier jobs and most importantly sooner or later makes everyone think they are a 3D expert and sooner or later making the stereographers job much harder! hehe....

Most importantly on a movie like ours that has lots of set shifts in difficult locations setting up a large DLP TV, mac pro computer/Rack unit etc etc.....can be problematic to impossible. We shooting in remote fields, swamps, on boats, ankle deep mud, abandoned buildings etc.... Looking back at some of our locations just moving the camera was a challenge at times. It would of been extremely difficult to transport and setup in some of our shooting conditions. I mean we have been shooting under constant rain and if it was not raining we were making rain! We have been battling water all the time. GFI was working overtime and power was up and down at times.

We do have a data management center back at our apartment were we verify and back up the days data to Raid servers/drives. There we view 2D dailies and can view 3D dailies using FCP and dashwood plugin connected to a 60" DLP. In this calm controlled environment only select people can review 3D dailies. The system has worked out great for the production and for the camera crew.

Naturally, having a bigger budget all this could be different. Money makes everything easier! More crew to move equipment around, dedicated video assist team etc....So I think in the end that is probably what will determine alot of what I'm talking about. For the budget and crew size on our movie, I think our solution is working out great.

I've been on some set's this last 2 years I've been working with 3D productions, where time spent watching and discussing 3D playback on set could of been better spent actually shooting and making the day. Just my opinion. Hire a talented experienced stereographer and trust his stereo decisions. A experienced stereographer can setup shots just based on visible parallax on a overlay, 3D glasses not even need be on set really.

naturally before I come off a bit negative, there are a LOT of reasons to have it as well! Producers can see on set exactly what there spending all that extra money on......cast can really see and "get" how 3D is adding to thier performance or if they need to tone something down etc... set dressers can put on glasses and get inspiration or adjust things in the scene that may be distracting in a 3D sense..........like I said, there are also lots of reasons to have it as well!

To me, it's kinda of the same debate as having on set coloring.....

In the end, each situation is different. But as I pointed out there is alot to consider. Sometimes just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do it. Adjust your tools to your budget and or situation!

Time to got to sleep! 8:30pm call today......all this night shooting is killing me. 1 more week to go....
    It is true that low budget movies can't afford extra time to play around with
    image processing tools on set.

However, usually it is a good policy to check things while shooting and avoid headaches in post.

Good luck with the last week, btw!
    Vlado Struhar
    IN2CORE
    www.qtakehd.com

Mark its great to hear that things are going so well with our rig!! Congrats!
    RED Studios Hollywood
    Direct: 323-993-5341
    Cell: 213.304.9901
    joey.romero@red.com
    www.elementtechnica.com