Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: November 30th Announcement Feedback

Closed Thread
Page 49 of 144 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
    I am still waiting for the price of the SSD, price wise its a close race I think for SSD and CF media

Side CF Reader - $500
    2 x (4x 16GB bundle) - $2800

$3300 for 128GB of flash cards

vs

SSD Module - $1500
    128 GB SSD drive - ?

If the SSD drive is $1800 you will have an equal bang for GB buck between the 2 methods but CF cards as stated recently will not be able to handle REDCODE 100

If the 128GB SSD is more than $1800 you will have to decide whether or not the difference is a fair price to shoot higher data rates

we shall see I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Burkhart View Post
    S35:

More Details Sometime.
    Most of the specs are there...especially now that EPIC and SCARLET modules are identical.. only difference is BRAIN... which is the Mysterium X sensor with some FPS limitations...basically a tick below EPIC... and even a Summer 2010 est delivery.
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I am still waiting for the price of the SSD, price wise its a close race I think for SSD and CF media

Side CF Reader - $500
    2 x (4x 16GB bundle) - $2800

$3300 for 128GB of flash cards

vs

SSD Module - $1500
    128 GB SSD drive - ?

If the SSD drive is $1800 you will have an equal bang for GB buck between the 2 methods but CF cards as stated recently will not be able to handle REDCODE 100

If the 128GB SSD is more than $1800 you will have to decide whether or not the difference is a fair price to shoot higher data rates

we shall see I guess
    keeping in mind, we don't know what cf cards will or will not be able to handle 6 or 7 months from now (hopefully) when these things start getting in people's hands. Or, what they will cost

later,
    Jason
    Landmine Media

S35:

More Details Sometime.
    While I do understand your frustration, what I think Tim is trying to say is you get what you get.

In october we all though we were getting Scarlet Specs, now people find out they have to wait for info on the s35 and ff35 models. But at least you got a supposed date right?

Obviously a lot of info is missing. For instance,

1) prices of any kind of AC adapter for scarlet
    2) SSD prices
    3) delivery dates for other mounts (B4, C, MiniRED)
    4) number 21 on the specification sheet

just to name a few

Look, you know the basic abilities of the Scarlet line, specifically the 2/3" range. The S35 Scarlet brain is going to be $7000 you know that. You know the prices of most of the modules.

Really, things can only get better for you. Maybe increased data rates, frame rates, who knows. But you did get enough info to plan for the approximate costs of a set up so go run with that

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Ramsey View Post
    keeping in mind, we don't know what cf cards will or will not be able to handle 6 or 7 months from now (hopefully) when these things start getting in people's hands. Or, what they will cost

later,
    Jason
    either way, REDCODE42 is awesome and I think anyone who wants to shoot CF cards should be cool with that.

If new cards get better and can handle REDCODE100 then great. But the thing to remember is that either way if you are going from current CF to new CF or current CF to SSD Module either way you are going to have to shell out more money to get the faster recording medium at some point.

I would be perfectly happy with wild speculation on when Scarlet FF35 will be released.

I'm just hoping it doesn't become the next 'r3d trimming' doomed to eternal delays.

7.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Osinski View Post
    either way, REDCODE42 is awesome and I think anyone who wants to shoot CF cards should be cool with that.

If new cards get better and can handle REDCODE100 then great. But the thing to remember is that either way if you are going from current CF to new CF or current CF to SSD Module either way you are going to have to shell out more money to get the faster recording medium at some point.
    i agree...

I've got a lot of decisions to make based on the announcement today. Lots to digest :) all in a good way (my opinion) mind you...

later,
    jason
    Landmine Media

Alright I made sure to read ever single one of Jarred's replies before I posted.

I notice, that in every one of the pictures, the bottom, the right side, and the back (without a REDMOTE) are not shown. So I have some rather rudimentary questions that might seem obvious but I would like in concrete. I'm just a little guy among giants here I'm trying to slip by with absolute minimal functionality.

Does the 2/3" Interchangeable Brain have:
    On-Brain Storage? (While the pictures would appear to have a Side CF Mount, it confuses me that the Side CF Mount is listed as an accessory elsewhere)
    On-Brain Battery Power? (the little circuit board watch batteries don't count ;)
    On-Brain Controls? (or will there be adequate controls through the touchscreen or is everything but the recording button dependent on the REDMOTE?)
    A standard consumer tripod shoe screwhole thingy (or will there be a mount for that? D:)

And lastly, with a single CF card, will you be able to shoot 120fps/3K or the 150fps burst? (in this case, it doesn't matter if the REDCODE bitrate gets smothered)

Cheers, I couldn't believe how small it was next to the D3!

what I am wondering is how available modules like the ssd will be for rentals once this all comes out. If I occasionally want to shoot REDCODE100 I will want to be able to rent the ssd module

The real questions: How fast will the Scarlet S35 or FF be reading off the sensor, in order to get around rolling shutter? How will it be downscaling to avoid aliasing, moire, artifacts, etc.? These are the solutions that are worth paying for.
    With RED, these are also the last solutions I'd be worrying about.

Graeme Nattress is the man about this stuff. here's some of his test results... http://www.cinematography.net/natress-red-res.html

Also, Sanjin Jukic does tests like nobody's business... Rumour has it an ancient ninja will kill him if he stops. Apparently the ninja gave him some ultimate 2 cam rig in exchange, though. check out some of his tests... http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37715&page=3