Thread: Avid > Monkey Extract > Avid workflow question

Closed Thread
  1. #1 Avid > Monkey Extract > Avid workflow question 
    I'm trying to use Monkey Extract to conform a cut via an XML and I'm having issues conforming the results of Monkey Extract.

When in monkey extract I've set the create ALE option which creates an ALE for each clip. I'm also trying to use the new XML that is generated as well. I've read the Red step by step manual and honestly I find it quite confusing. I'm not clear on how to get my XML back into Avid and how to relink everything properly. What am I missing? The generated ALEs are of no help at this point. Also should I be decomposing my sequence and making my XML scan list from that? or is a cut list generated from my duplicated original ok?

Finally, what is the closest codec available in Monkey Extract that is close to the NONE codec. My editor likes to import uncompressed media back into the Avid when conforming.

Thanks,
    Scotty D

No XML back into Avid. You take all the resulting QT clips created by Monkey for which there should be an ALE. You can use MetaCheater to create a new ALE if needed. Import ALE, batch import new clips, and relink per the directions in the step by step guide.
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

OK. Just to get this correctly.

I create my movies with Monkey Extract. Use Metacheater to create a new .ale from these movies. Import the .ale into Avid. Batch import those clips and then relink. The part where my confusion lies in in the relink process. It's not clear in the Red Step By Step pdf what to relink to. Do I first before I even create my xml for Monkey Extract create a decomposed sequence and when ready relink to that? or do I duplicate the sequence to be conformed to and unlink my media from that and then relink my new media.

I'm not going to lie, I feel the Red Step By Step guide is a little unorganized for some workflows or doesn't have the full picture included. Either way it should be rewritten to be more complete. Or maybe I'm missing something. I don't know.

Thanks for your help,
    Scott

4. #4 I finally figured it out!!! 
    Ok. I finally figured this out. It wasn't fully documented in the Red Step By Step documentation so here is the jist of what I did.

Get picture lock.

Duplicate sequence.

Make XML with Scan list option selected. Go to global options and turn on Separate List for Each Channel.

Bring into Monkey Extract and create new DNxHD files. I chose no handles. I suppose you can have them selected.

When done import QT files into Metacheater. For Red options I selected R3d Filename and Camroll: Reel and Shoot Date. Process Files. Save list as XXXXX.ale

Go back to Avid create new bin. Call it conform bin or whatever. Put your duped sequence in there.

Import .ale into Avid into same bin as above.

Batch Import from new .ale.

Now you're going to decompose your sequence to effectively create an offline version. Toss out all the offline clips it creates.

Select all of your clips including the offline sequence. Select relink. Only relink to specific media ie your uprezzed media.

Then voila everything is online! You can check to make sure this is so by going into your hamburger menu in your timeline and selecting clip text and then clip resolution to make sure you have the right resolution.

Hope this helps. I pulled out my hair to figure this out. Plain and simple. The Red Step by Step is by no means a step by step for all Avid Red workflows. It's best for Avid to Avid DS workflows.

Regards,
    Scotty D

I'll look at the step by step again, since I wrote it. You don't need to decompose your sequence. Just put the sequence in the same bin as the new clips via the new ALE and do a relink to selected.

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

6. #6 FilmScribe XML error 
    I am trying to preview the XML from FilmScribe, but it keeps giving me "Exception: ACX_STRING_TOO_LONG, max: 4095" error.

I have no idea what that means or how to solve issue.

Suggestions?