Thread: Panasonic P2 workflow with FCP to Scratch?

Closed Thread
  1. #1 Panasonic P2 workflow with FCP to Scratch? 
    Hi,
    Can someone guide or post a link for P2 workflow with project edited in FCP and finising in Scratch?
    Thks in advance
    Harcharan

Quote Originally Posted by Harcharan Singh View Post
    Hi,
    Can someone guide or post a link for P2 workflow with project edited in FCP and finising in Scratch?
    Thks in advance
    Harcharan
    Panasonic P2 shoots as DVCPRO HD footage. When you use Log and Transfer of FCP to import footage it is rewrapped as QT Movie with DVCPRO HD file. You can use EDL and QT movies to relink in Scratch since Quick Time movie holds timecode information.
    Thanks
    G.Balaji
    Digital Cinema Designer (from Shoot to Delivery)
    www.gbalaji.in
    gbalaji@gmail.com
    Ph: 91-9840224733
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/gopalbalaji
    Film Credits: Margazhi Raagam, Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru, Pookisham, Tamil Padam, Ethirmarai, 180, Vazhakku EN 18/9, Thangameengal,Vallinam, Spanish Masala (Mal), David (Hindi), Thupakki, Thaandavam, Vallinam, Thangameengal, YAYA, ONE (Telugu), Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam, Ithu Kathirvelan Kadhal, Golisoda...

Quote Originally Posted by gbalaji View Post
    Panasonic P2 shoots as DVCPRO HD footage. When you use Log and Transfer of FCP to import footage it is rewrapped as QT Movie with DVCPRO HD file. You can use EDL and QT movies to relink in Scratch since Quick Time movie holds timecode information.
    All newer Panasonic P2 cameras use either AVC HD or AVC Intra 100, which is a great codec. I don't believe any of the current products record DVCPro with the exception of the HVX200, which designed before the newer codecs were done.

The Main thing is SCRATCH (and RocketFuel/ScratchCine) supports Quicktimes. You should be able to export an XML/EDL, and everything should be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    All newer Panasonic P2 cameras use either AVC HD or AVC Intra 100, which is a great codec. I don't believe any of the current products record DVCPro with the exception of the HVX200, which designed before the newer codecs were done.
    Final Cut Pro 7 can work directly with AVC Intra codec and doesn't require conversion to ProRes.
    Thanks
    G.Balaji
    www.gbalaji.in
    gbalaji@gmail.com
    Film Credits: Margazhi Raagam, Thiru Thiru Thuru Thuru, Pookisham, Tamil Padam, Ethirmarai, 180, Vazhakku EN 18/9, Thangameengal,Vallinam, Spanish Masala (Mal), David (Hindi), Thupakki, Thaandavam, Vallinam, Thangameengal, YAYA, ONE (Telugu), Varuthapadatha Valibar Sangam, Ithu Kathirvelan Kadhal, Golisoda...

Quote Originally Posted by gbalaji View Post
    Final Cut Pro 7 can work directly with AVC Intra codec and doesn't require conversion to ProRes.
    So can Avid (which doesn't require any kind of import or conversion, as Final Cut does), but the question being asked was regarding Assimilate Scratch, which in its current form cannot read MXF files directly, and cannot read Mac-only Quicktime codecs such as DVCProHD (although there are ways around this, like Raylight). So for Scratch, a transcode would currently be needed for anything that is in MXF form, regardless of the codec.

So can Avid (which doesn't require any kind of import or conversion, as Final Cut does), but the question being asked was regarding Assimilate Scratch, which in its current form cannot read MXF files directly, and cannot read Mac-only Quicktime codecs such as DVCProHD (although there are ways around this, like Raylight). So for Scratch, a transcode would currently be needed for anything that is in MXF form, regardless of the codec.
    Since my post starts with FCP, I said the support of AVC Intra in FCP 7 and not here to or against any software since I use both FCP and AVID. Regarding AVC Intra which uses High 4:2:2 Intra Profile, Level 4.1(AVC-Intra 100) codec which is mainly associated with ENG.

I believe suggestive workflow for taking to Color Timing will be Transcode to some usable support codec by Scratch as agreed / suggested by you.
    Thanks
    G.Balaji
    www.gbalaji.in
    gbalaji@gmail.com

Hi Mike and all,
    P2 MXF files can be loaded directly in Scratch using the Codec Support Pack (CSP).
    Latest available is 080 which also contains improvements on
    Canon "C500" .rmf
    Cinema DNG "BMD"
    SONY Mpeg-2 .mp4,.mov and XAVC HD/4K .mxf
    Improved Phantom color processing

The few issues we've seen in P2 / Scratch have been fixed. If you find a new one, please let Support know.

Thanks,
    Daniel

Wow, another zombie thread. Where's my chainsaw? Oh, there it is....
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.