Thread: What filters do you need for Red? A beginners' guide.

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by strangways View Post
    I hope you followed along with all of that. But here's the catch:

As far as I know, the RED ONE does not have anything in it's optical system that is affected by the polarization of light. There isn't a semi-polarized mirror in between the exit pupil of the lens and the sensor. A high-pass/infrared filter in front of the sensor won't be affected by polarized light.

Why spend more on the circular polarizer? Probably because the safe bet has seemed to be splurging on the circular just in case. I also find it common for people to believe that "circular" means it's the only one you can rotate to vary the effect. Misinformation, uncertainty, and doubt.

Put it all to rest now. If you're looking to buy a polarizer, get a linear if it'll save you money. In fact, why not, try and find a clean, scratch-free used one?

Granted, I don't own a RED ONE. So if anyone out there wants to actually test it in the real world, please do, and post your results here.
    Great post! I was planning to get a linear pola for these same reasons, but I ended up going with circular because of the auto-focus and optical viewing systems that are coming out.

Awesome post. Other explanations about filters are always targeted to people that already know a lot about photography. I loved the way you simplified the purpose of ND filters--I paraphrase, "basically a pair sunglasses for your camer."

I think that a lot of people, many authors of books included, give complicated explanation just to sound intelligent and validate their own knowledge. I truly believe that if you really know something, it can be explained in very simple terms. Richard Feynman, famous particle physicist, is of the same mind. He says that you really don't know something until you can explain it in simple enough terms that anybody can understand.

Thanks for the great post.

Anybody know any books that go into other aspects of photography/cinematography in a similar way to Evin's post?

I never used lens filter before.
    My question: is it possible to use more than one filter in the same time, and how? Do we need another tool or something..

thanks in advance

Another new user question.

Is there a filter set out there that fits onto the lens? I've had these for my DSLR. Right now the only lens I have is the RED 18 - 50. Also, is there just a plain glass one out there so that I have something to protect the glass? I've looked around a bit but can't find anything specific for this lens.

Thanks,
    If you can't say it, you can't do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kujtim View Post
    I never used lens filter before.
    My question: is it possible to use more than one filter in the same time...
    yes

... and how?
    slide it in

Do we need another tool or something..
    Matte box

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mackro View Post

Is there a filter set out there that fits onto the lens? I've had these for my DSLR. Right now the only lens I have is the RED 18 - 50. Also, is there just a plain glass one out there so that I have something to protect the glass? I've looked around a bit but can't find anything specific for this lens.

Thanks,
    "Plain glass" is never used. Optical clear flat is also not used unless you are filming hazardous situations. The reason is that any additional glass decreases optical performance of the lens. Protective filters are for kiddies. Real men do not use protection...

Long lenses sometimes have internal filter slot. Red 300mm has one.

Happy shooting

Quote Originally Posted by mackro View Post

Thanks,
    If the front of lens does not have a threaded filter screw mount, then you'd use a clamp-on adaptor ring to hold a round filter, one that is slightly bigger than the front of the lens.

But at some point as you use multiple lenses with different-sized fronts, and multiple filters, it will be easier to use a mattebox and rectangular filters.

But you may also want some round clamp-on filters and a rubber sunshade for more handheld situations.

If the lens has a filter tread in front, you can buy screw-on filters for that thread size usually. But at some point, it gets a bit awkward with lenses with huge front elements which is why most don't have filter threads.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Can someone comment on their experience with the filter TRU-CUT IR-750? I have a situation of external actors with plenty of sunshine and I am concerned about the purity of the blacks.

i've read a few filter review posts on here. since some time has passed, new filters released since latest reviews (redrock, formatt, etc.), what is the beginner filter set you'd recommend?

as i understand it, the nice package is:
    - .3, .6 regular NDs by Tiffen
    - Rosco True Color (anyone knows if they started doing "sandwiched", protected models by now?)
    - .9, 1.2, 1.5 Panchro IRNDs

- any thoughts on the above kit? or any other recommendations due to new items in the market
    - also which Polarizer would you recommend? (this one? http://www.filmtools.com/schneidtruep.html)
    - what is the order to stack / not to stack these? (i'm assuming polarizer to go in front of everything (except IRNDs); rosco - 1st to the lenses, then NDs?)
    - any thoughts if new RED cameras coming out will change the game with IR and other filter results?

thank u

anyone?

word on the street that the formatts are really nice, but no tests to date