Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: EPIC missed spec...

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 215
  1. #91  
    REDuser Sponsor Jay A. Kelley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Posts
    3,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine Fabi View Post
    er... it's a Cinema Camera, not a news camera...

    15 sec is more than enough for such mega power :)

    Keep up the incredible work!

    Antoine
    Careful there... It's a LOT of cameras. While not used a lot for ENG, it's very popular in the ENG world. A quick startup time does matter.. 10 sec is ok though.

    Jay
    Jay A Kelley
    Lead Instructor, Infotech Academy
    RED102. THE BEST ONLINE COURSE FOR SCARLET and EPIC
    http://www.red102.com
     

  2. #92  
    Senior Member Michael Hastings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    3,462
    great minds think alike Jay :-)

    (simultaneous posts)
    Save the Sharks
    __________________
    Red #206/Epic-X Stage2 Now shipping Epic U/W housings - accepting orders - contact us. U/W housing for REDONE - for sale or rent. Check out our new Aero3D™ mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com
     

  3. #93  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    In an effort to get the bad news out as soon as we have it, it looks like we will likely miss (at least) one proposed spec on EPIC/Scarlet. The engineers tell me that a 2 second startup time is now not possible given all the changes/additions to the program...
    Jim,

    Could you highlight for us what the 'changes/additions' are? Are they something different from what we knew when the 2 second startup time was announced?

    And '(at least)', does this mean we're to expect more missed spec?

    Please don't take this the wrong way, just curious.
    Thanks.
     

  4. #94  
    Moderator Martin Weiss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    mostly Norway
    Posts
    5,866
    The new cameras draw much less power than the R1, thus using three 190wh V-lock batteries should pretty much cover you for a long day with only two 15 second breaks.
     

  5. #95  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    good old Berlin
    Posts
    3,907
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Hucker View Post
    Jim,

    Could you highlight for us what the 'changes/additions' are? Are they something different from what we knew when the 2 second startup time was announced?
    ..
    Please don't take this the wrong way, just curious.
    Thanks.
    laser sword
    red is not a color, it's a camera.
     

  6. #96  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Weiss View Post
    The new cameras draw much less power than the R1, thus using three 190wh V-lock batteries should pretty much cover you for a long day with only two 15 second breaks.
    That is, if you're planning on having an entire support team to help move the damn thing around.

    For someone who plans on shooting a wedding for example (and yes, there will be these people) 15 seconds is a LOT of time to wait for your camera.

    If this camera is marketed to do a whole wack of different things, we have to remember that it won't be used for just film makers.

    We miss a lot of action and hold up clients on a daily basis waiting for our R1 to boot up. Is it a massive deal, no not for us, but the faster the better.
     

  7. #97  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,215
    It's not a deal breaker. Not at all.

    Thanks for the news.
     

  8. #98  
    Senior Member Brent J. Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,779
    Reading between the lines, does a 15 second bootup mean that the cameras are loading in at least some firmware? Does that mean that all of the features aren't necessarily 'baked in' to the ASIC and we will still be enjoying frequent updates that add features and fix things?
     

  9. #99  
    cross-examiner
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,358
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    No, it is a multi-purpose camera and I suspect the vast majority of RED owners are NOT shooting cinema. One to two minutes boot time with R1 was/is a hindrance for many applications. Ten seconds boot is drastically better and will suit almost everyone fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay A. Kelley View Post
    Careful there... It's a LOT of cameras. While not used a lot for ENG, it's very popular in the ENG world. A quick startup time does matter.. 10 sec is ok though.

    Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    great minds think alike Jay :-)

    (simultaneous posts)
    Well, it does seem there are a lot of non film-style shooters again. Thanks for your reminder.

    I'd like to see you more often posting your concerns over here and other sites such as cinematography.com or CML forums, though. Where the film-style (different than cine-style in DSLR times nowadays :-) envelope has been pushed against the RED mission statement... and economies of scale, as matter of fact.
    RED ONE @home
    #111
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    #647
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    #156
    #157
    RED 300mm LENS
    #82
    Who am I?

    * LINK *
    ** IMDb **
     

  10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #100  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent J. Craig View Post
    Reading between the lines, does a 15 second bootup mean that the cameras are loading in at least some firmware? Does that mean that all of the features aren't necessarily 'baked in' to the ASIC and we will still be enjoying frequent updates that add features and fix things?
    Absolutely....
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts