Thread: 3D Productions

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 3D Productions 
    Hi,
    I'm working for an independant production out in Hawaii and We are really considering shooting a martial arts movie in 3D but because 3D's still new ground for us we are grasping for a few answers to come to a solid conclusion on whether shooting 3D would be our best choice. I'm new to reduser.com , and I was hoping that you may be able to shed some light on us here. I'm kind of at a loss at who to call or anything.

-Would anyone have an estimate on how much more time it might take in preproduction on an average movie, to get ready to shoot a 3D feature, or what kind of experts are need for this?

-How much more manpower is necessary during a 3D production vs. 2D?

-What kind of compromises would you think we would have to take as far as the quality of action and martial arts... like in terms of how close you can get to the actors, hand held etc?. Would it be better to do slower paced action?

-I guess this would be the main question: Would fast action and martial arts, like Yuen Woo Ping or a John Woo style movie, lend itself to 3D properly? Would you think it a good idea to shoot something like this in 3D?

Any time in giving suggestions or input we would greatly appreciate.
    Thankyou for your time.

-abraham williams
    Last edited by Abraham W. Williams; 03-10-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham W. Williams View Post
    Hi,
    I'm working for an independant production out in Hawaii and We are really considering shooting a martial arts movie in 3D but because 3D's still new ground for us we are grasping for a few answers to come to a solid conclusion on whether shooting 3D would be our best choice. I'm new to reduser.com , and I was hoping that you may be able to shed some light on us here. I'm kind of at a loss at who to call or anything.

-Would anyone have an estimate on how much more time it might take in preproduction on an average movie, to get ready to shoot a 3D feature, or what kind of experts are need for this?

-How much more manpower is necessary during a 3D production vs. 2D?

-What kind of compromises would you think we would have to take as far as the quality of action and martial arts... like in terms of how close you can get to the actors, hand held etc?. Would it be better to do slower paced action?

-I guess this would be the main question: Would fast action and martial arts, like Yuen Woo Ping or a John Woo style movie, lend itself to 3D properly? Would you think it a good idea to shoot something like this in 3D?

Any time in giving suggestions or input we would greatly appreciate.
    Thankyou for your time.

-abraham williams
    The starting point is the target audience.
    Is the content meant for:
    IMAX
    General Cinema
    Studio Cinema
    Home Theater
    Desktop Monitor
    Laptop/Palmtop
    Cell-Phone

Next: what kind of audience
    Adrenaline hungry, healthy theme park experienced or
    gentle family Disney type movie lovers.

When you have those two settled then I will be able to provide answer to your questions.

Mathew Orman

For state of the art stereoscopic vision systems with: eyestrain free, distortion free and realistic immersion stereoscopic experience contact me
    at:
    http://www.tyrell-innovations-usa.com/

Abraham, welcome to Reduser..

S3D is not something to be taken lightly, many do, and the price is paid by the viewers..

You can film just about anything, almost no limits to what you can film in S3D, must have the right tools for the Job, a

~ Script must be written in S3D and create a detailed Depth Budget right at the
    beginning of the story.

~ Locations must be chosen with S3D in mind, framing of the Subject are also very different then in 2D, way different.

~ Cameras must be tested and so the Lenses, need to be aligned and both cameras must be in Perfect Sync, both at the recording starting point, as everything else, Frame Rate, Shutter Speed, ISO setting etc.

~ Action as just about any other Genre can be shot in S3D no problem, but the requirements will vary greatly from Shot to Shot, depending on how much movement and the speed of the movements.

~ One other factor is to know what effect do you wish to achieve, are they going to be objects flying in to the audience? Are the fight scenes expected to have an arm or a leg create a half a circle in to the audience to create desired effect?

~ Action is been currently shot in more then one venue with different S3D set ups mounted on Shoulder rigs and or Steady Cam rigs, sop no problem at all following and filming Martial Arts scenes in S3D, but tests and choice of Shutter speed must be carefully chosen.

There are many aspect of S3D which should be taken in consideration early on, and not always there are.. BIG MISTAKE.

S3D vs. 2D? An entire different WORLD. Any one can make S3D, few can and will make Good S3D.

It does require more man power, more computing power, and double of Camera and Camera gear off course, lighting will be a major bust compare to 2D shooting, setting up a S3D rig like the fantastic, Element Technica Quasar rig, with two Red ONes will take about half day, not something that you want to set up and undo as you do for single camera shooting in 2D.

Also like Mathew, (BTW Mathew you are also Welcome to REDUSER, but you need your Real Name in the profile in this Forum) already point it pout, is important that you choose an end Media, as the SIze of your Projecting Screen will also dictate many rules during your shooting, you will have to know were your Floating Windows have to be in space and calculate what will be your space inside and out side the screen.

Ultimately if you do have the budget, you need to consult with a Stereographer and a S3D Director, very few of them around currently, and be very careful those that you hire for the job, or you might end up paying for some one to learn at your expense.

Best of luck with your project Abraham.

Thankyou guys very much. Yea it's really a whole new world 3D is. I am going to meet with the crew in a little while and this is going to be a great help to us...

I'll keep you posted on how we get along.

Thanks again!

One thing. If you do martial Arts in 3D I'd say do not cut that fast as modern Movies do. Take a look at older Stuff, like the shaw brothers did. Longer and wider shots are needed. And I would only be near at the actors when they don't move that much/fast. But then you also need Guys who are able to fight...

Yeah the cutting in S3D not only must be paced slower do to so much more info that the Neurons in your brain have to process via the Visual Cortex, but there are many more issues in post with S3D, such as avoiding cutting a In the screen shot to an out of the screen shot, this is simple terminology, and do not wish to go in extreme details which they are many, but cutting must be taken in serious consideration during the actual shoot to provide the S3D Editor with the needed material, and if the cutting is not done right you will hurt your viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSI View Post
    It does require more man power,
    It does - but not much - a single 3D rig shoot requires less man power than a two camera 2D shoot.

Element Technica Quasar rig, with two Red ONes will take about half day, not something that you want to set up and undo as you do for single camera shooting in 2D.
    You know I love you Ketch - but I have throw the BULLSHIT towel down on this comment. My guys can build the Quasar rig from everything in cases - with two RED ONEs - re-track the lenses - calibrate lens motors - adjust and lock alignment - in less than 30 - 40 minutes. So ... not sure who is telling you - or causing you to take "about a half a day" .... but you might want to adjust their day rate.
    Last edited by Mark L. Pederson; 03-11-2010 at 07:54 PM.
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    It does - but not much - a single 3D rig shoot requires less man power than a two camera 2D shoot.
    As I said Mark it requires more man Power :~) and yes agree less the two different camera set ups off course.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    You know I love you Ketch - but I have throw the BULLSHIT towel down on this comment. My guys can build the Quasar rig from everything in cases - with two RED ONEs - re-track the lenses - calibrate lens motors - adjust and lock alignment - in less than 30 - 40 minutes. So ... not sure who is telling you - or causing you to take "about a half a day" .... but you might want to adjust their day rate.
    I know you do Mark, or at list /i hope you do :~)

The particular about the half day set up for the ET Quasar rig was something I was told from one of the guys at ET!! You know I have been researching for "Rape of a Beauty" S3D shoot, and ET was one of my first stops.

So I'm extremely happy to stand corrected on this detail as I really felt impaired by the fact of having the R1's set up to be so long, so maybe Steve and I should come to NY to shoot the Opening Trailer

Just a quick question... I'm not sure if you have heard of the 3dFactory?.. But we talked to them and apparently one of their R1 rigs costs around $5,000, which is immensely cheaper then Element Technica's rig. Has anybody had any experience with the 3DFactory rig by any chance. I'm just not sure their's is low quality, or Element technica is overpriced (which I highly doubt).

Cheers
    -Abraham

Yeah the cutting in S3D not only must be paced slower do to so much more info that the Neurons in your brain have to process via the Visual Cortex, but there are many more issues in post with S3D, such as avoiding cutting a In the screen shot to an out of the screen shot, this is simple terminology, and do not wish to go in extreme details which they are many, but cutting must be taken in serious consideration during the actual shoot to provide the S3D Editor with the needed material, and if the cutting is not done right you will hurt your viewers.
    That is what I liked about Avatar. It was watchable 3D. The craft showed for the most part.