Thread: RED and fire and explosions

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 RED and fire and explosions 
    I have an element shoot coming up in the next few weeks and am very interested in using the RED. Has anyone shot any fire or explosions yet, and if so any chance I get some image/motion examples. Particularly interested in seeing RED at 120 fps on properly exposed but potentially clipped fire and explosions -- I haven't yet had a chance to see what RED can do with really hot, bright subject matte.

Thanks!

James Tichenor
    VFX Supervisor
    Vancouver

I don't think the higher fps are enabled yet.
    But I would imagine that RED would handle
    material like that in a spectacular fashion.

120 fps is not enabled yet -- ok good to know. I suppose I should search around a bit to find out what the current feature set of the camera is -- but maybe if someone is feeling particularly friendly they could point me to a "where RED is at"page or something -- what is it's current top frame rate and what is the ETA on the higher speeds.

Even explos and fire at 24 fps would be interesting to see if anyone has any examples.

j

http://www.red.com/cameras/format_options

100 fps will be enabled shooting at 2K

Banned
    Whoa
    huh huh
    huh huh
    yeah! yeah! fire! fire!

Senior Member David Battistella's Avatar
    Here is a shot taken by RED's leader/inventor/renaissance man of what I believe to be his race car (pictured on the right).

This is mostly likely the only bit of fire recorded by a RED production camera. That's some pretty cool, high speed, hot burning fire though.

David
    "Well, isn't that just amazing!"
    Battistella

That's a start ...

Once we get one of the cameras in vancouver we will be setting up some fire and pyro tests -- should be a great evening of blowing stuff up at as high a enabled frame rate as currently possible and will be very interesting tests of extreme black to superwhite exposure.

Will of course share what we find when we've found it. If anyone else beats us to the punch test wise would love to see what you discover. Scale fire/smoke/explos is obviously a huge place for the Red, if it can deal...

j

Hey Jimmy,

What are you shooting? I'm in Vancouver too. Unfortunately my camera won't be here until February. I do however have an Arri 35-3, SR2 HS, and a Photosonics Actionmaster500 (500fps). I'd like to try the 500fps stuff out on your shoot for fun!
    Norm Li, csc
    Cinematographer
    http://www.q-films.com

DRAGONS #490, #863
    EPIC-X #670
    4x ALEXA EV packages

+ 2x Cooke S4/i Set (9 lenses), Angenieux Optimo 24-290mm, Optimo 28-76mm, LOMO Anamorphic Roundfront Set (4 lenses), O'Connor 2575's, Arrihead MK1, Arri MB18's, MB14, LMB5's, FF4, FF5-Cine, Digital Bartech, Panasonic/TVLogic/SmallHD LCDs, 3'/5' Overkeepers, RED Rocket, Freefly MoVi, etc.

+ Cooke Anamorphic Set (5 lenses) (Coming soon)