Thread: Suggest Monitors for Grading...

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    Thank you, Hrvoje. Had not seen that sony at all.

FSI makes great grading monitors. The DM series rocks and I use the CM250 also for grading where the slight lag isn't an issue. I've also ordered the DM240 which is very reasonably priced and although an LCD performs very, very well.
    www.hal-long.com
    hal_long [at] icloud

Epic-M Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron K View Post
    Thanks, Marc. Always generous with your experience on this forum. That oled is a couple-three grand over my budget. On another forum you once told of an indie client who did their initial grade with a decent, consistent monitor and then your house was able to do a very satisfactory pass for them in three days or so for $6k. Of course, I think that was 2012. A guy can dream.
    I routinely will grade at my home studio on a Panasonic BT-300, then if the client wants to, we move the session into a bigger room, even a D-Cinema projection room, and we do a trim pass over a period of a couple of days. I can get it 90% of the way there with the Panasonic, no problem.

The Panasonics were about $3200 new, but nowadays you can get the LG B6/B7 OLED displays for well under $3K. When you calibrate them correctly, they can look very good. While a lot of facilities in LA still use the Panasonic plasmas for broadcast delivery, I think the reality is that they're all starting to fade nowadays and everybody is replacing these "client monitors" with new technology. So far as I've seen, the calibrated OLEDs are a good alternative. As Steve Shaw has noted, you do have to set the black level a little higher so you don't wind up overcompensating for the "superblack" levels the OLEDs can achieve.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    So far as I've seen, the calibrated OLEDs are a good alternative. As Steve Shaw has noted, you do have to set the black level a little higher so you don't wind up overcompensating for the "superblack" levels the OLEDs can achieve.
    Wow, certainly hadn't thought of that. Since I'll always be working towards hiring a colorist for finishing this is a very exciting alternative. Thanks a million, Marc!