Thread: Suggest Monitors for Grading...

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The least expensive broadcast quality solution is a used Apple 23" Cinema Display and the Matrox MXO:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo/workflow/

-michael

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Blackham View Post
    I agree but not in the smaller sizes. To improve it add a Davio, then you don't need to look further....

But Jeff is also right about the Panasonic TC-PxxVT25 series, take your pick
    Davio is unnecessary if you're feeding the signal from Scratch, which has monitoring LUT capabilities from 1d matrices to 3d cubes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Tissavary View Post
    Davio is unnecessary if you're feeding the signal from Scratch, which has monitoring LUT capabilities from 1d matrices to 3d cubes.
    Yes, thats quite right. What i should have said is the Pana monitor overshoot rec 709 slightly and dont have the tools to deal with profesional line up internal so some sort of out board means of apply a LUT is needed.

OK.. so after NAB, I'm ready to pull the trigger.. Now, mind you I am on a budget and my jobs are pretty low paying at the moment, but I'm hoping to upgrade my rid in an attempt to raise my prices.

Am I better off buying a Series 12 Panasonic with the HD-SDI card? or something along the lines of a Flanders Scientific 17" or 24" and if I go for the 24" should I get the 10-bit model (which is $10,000) or will I be fine with the 8-Bit panel in 17" or 24" for now then upgrade when the work picks up to a serious enough level where i need it.

Now, I know there's a big difference between the Panasonic and the Flanders.. but I really need both a client viewing monitor and a color accurate screen for grading..

Just trying to figure out where the best place to spend my money is at the moment in order to bring more clients and money in.

I see a lot minitors this is my list. For color reference real 10bit panel monitor
    BARCO
    CINETAL
    Ecinema
    EZIO
    FS
    TV LOGIC
    Ricardo R. Villarroel López
    La Granja de Render c.a.
    http://www.lagranjaderender.com
    ricardo@lagranjaderender
    Caracas - Venezuela
    Telefonos: 58212-761-82-81 / 762-47-40
    Celular: (0414) -222-33-72

RED Camera SerialNumber(s): #004024

Which is the least expensive from this list..

I have an HP Dreamcolor.. I think im going to have to get the HD-SDI to HDMI converter and start taking advantage of the 10 bit panel...

Another consideration is the ongoing cost of keeping it calibrated. Either gaining the experience yourself or hiring someone to come in.

Actually, this is something I would like to know about. How does everyone deal with maintaining calibration?

Do I want the Aja Hi5 or the Aja Hi5 3G to use with my Dreamcolor?

9. #19 Auto calibrarion 
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post
    Another consideration is the ongoing cost of keeping it calibrated. Either gaining the experience yourself or hiring someone to come in.

Actually, this is something I would like to know about. How does everyone deal with maintaining calibration?
    Barco is autocalibration monitor
    Ricardo R. Villarroel López
    La Granja de Render c.a.
    http://www.lagranjaderender.com
    ricardo@lagranjaderender
    Caracas - Venezuela
    Telefonos: 58212-761-82-81 / 762-47-40
    Celular: (0414) -222-33-72

RED Camera SerialNumber(s): #004024

Quote Originally Posted by jimhare View Post

I would love to know the best route to go on this. looking that the panasonic website, the plasmas look like that have some presets for "studio"... not sure if this has anything to do with it being properly calibrated. I would love to get a grading monitor that is under $3k.
    Cinematographer | Swallowtailmedia.com | Vimeo.com/DeanMerrill | Portland, Maine