Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: sandisk 8gb and 16gb express cards to be released in november

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 sandisk 8gb and 16gb express cards to be released in november 
    Looks like the speed is up to par..but the price isn't. No wonder Jim is so "pro" CF.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...63&newsLang=en

MILPITAS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--SanDisk® Corporation (NASDAQ:SNDK) today launched the SanDisk Express™ line of high-performance flash memory products, based on the ExpressCard™ technology standard. SanDisk Express products aim to deliver best-of-class solutions for professional videographers and photographers who demand speed, durability and reliability.

The first product in the SanDisk Express line is the SanDisk ExpressCard, a flash memory card designed for a new generation of professional camcorders that record to ExpressCards rather than magnetic tape, hard discs or optical discs.

The SanDisk ExpressCard is expected to be available in November, in 8 gigabyte (GB)1 and 16 gigabyte capacities. Recording time for high-definition video capture, at 35 megabits per second, will be approximately 30 minutes on the 8GB card and 60 minutes on the 16GB card2.

Sony is the first major video equipment manufacturer to adopt ExpressCards as video recording media, with its new XDCAM EX camcorder.
    The SanDisk ExpressCard is expected to be available in November in North America and Europe, in two capacities: 8GB, with a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $499.99 in the United States; and 16GB, with a U.S. MSRP of $899.99.

2. #2 too slow 
    35 megabits per second? that's way too slow for anything 4k. even 35 megabytes per second is too slow. maybe they got their bits and bytes mixed up in the press release.

and their pricing just makes red's offerings look better and better by comparison.

Yeah, CF is much cheaper. $500 for 8GB ExpressCard, when the RED branded 8GB CF card is only $200. No contest.
    Jaime Vallés

AJV Media
    Video, photography & graphic design
    www.ajvmedia.com

4.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #4  
    I like how it says "With the SanDisk ExpressCard, professional videographers for the first time will have access to a high-speed, solid-state digital recording solution" Uhmm... what about p2... and Red. Both are shipping and both offer solid state digital recording....

"Like no other."

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by wigby View Post
    35 megabits per second? that's way too slow for anything 4k. even 35 megabytes per second is too slow. maybe they got their bits and bytes mixed up in the press release.

and their pricing just makes red's offerings look better and better by comparison.

The 35Mb/s refers to XDcam EX's MPEG.
    The card's transfer speed is 800Mb/s. CF Extreme IV is around 300Mb/s. Also, no need for a card reader if you have a Mac Book Pro.

link

Senior Member Yaque Silva-Doyle's Avatar
    It appears to be a bit slow for our uses Gizmodo, says that the write speed is min of 20MB/sec, could work for 2K though.

If this press release is talking about Sandisk's proposed SxS PCIExpress card:

http://www.sandisk.com/Corporate/Pre...e.aspx?ID=3770

they say:

"• High-speed data transfer of large video files. SxS™ memory cards are the first native PCI Express™ solid-state storage media1. PCI Express™ has a maximum data transfer speed of 2.5 gigabits per second, twice as fast as PC Card™-based storage media. In addition, SanDisk and Sony have optimized the technology protocol for controlling communication between hardware and SxS™ memory cards to enable high-speed transfer of large files, such as high-definition video, to PCs for non-linear video-editing. The target transfer speed of SxS™ memory cards is 800 megabits per second2."

That is a target transfer rate of 100MB/s which is easily fast enough. Whether thas sustained speed I dont know. im not sure what they mean by 'seconds2' but may relate to the side by side configuration they talk about

james

I think the 2 was a reference to the caveat at the bottom, they just forgot to put it in superscript

"2 In the case of optimized compliant host devices."

M

9. #9 CF vs. Express Cards 
    Beside a RED one I ordered one of the new Sony XDCAM ex camcorders for run and gun shots and as a 2nd unit. This camcorder is based on the new Sony/Sandisk Express Cards. They are more expensive but looks like their transfer rate outperforms the CF cards easily. Nice for dropping the content to a MacBook Pro as quick as possible for instance. And by the way: The MacBook Pros and some other laptops have already Express Card slots integrated - no need for any external reader.
    Conclusion: I would like to have the choice concerning media. Is the CF module attached to the RED body or is it integrated into the body itself? Maybe the RED team should concider to offer both ways by selling a module for CF cards or Express Cards respectively.
    Cheers, Roland

I think RED was re-thinking express card 34.
    The express card recorder is not in the store any longer.
    I have no problem with CF cards. I use them all the time
    with my Nikons.