Thread: Official Selection at Cannes: short film: OUTLIERS

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Official Selection at Cannes: short film: OUTLIERS 
    http://vimeo.com/11221863

Redusers Spencer Meffert and Ian Edwards rocked with me on this.
    Lucas Krost directed and I DP'd
    It made front page of Vimeo's HD channel on it's way to Cannes
    It's about the end of the world, it stars my lovely wife, and was made for the international round of the 48 hour Film Contest

and Shot On RED.
    enjoy!
    -jso

Correction: It's Short Film Corner, not "Official Selection"
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Johnny St.Ours; 05-09-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: It's not an "Official Selection"- sorry for the confusion! See comments below
    JSO

Hi Johnny,

First I want to say congratulations, I watched you film its engaging and I think you did a great job.

I have a question regarding your acceptance for screening at Cannes and I ask this because I am in pre production for a festival film for 2011. According to the Cannes rules on their website, films cannot have been shown on the internet or outside their country of origin. How did you get around this? Or was the film invited for screening by the organizers not submitted and selected which is the normal route.

Link for cannes rules is here
    http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/fes...selection.html
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Jhoe,

I think there are different venues at Cannes and you can be an official selection without being in competition? I know I've had a few films there that I Dp'd that were in the marketplace etc, but it's not what you think. Anyways, hit me up for a beer some time, it's been a while.

Ian

J.D. I don't really do festival rules, so I couldn't tell you. In fact I'll be in Cannes but I can't even tell you when or where this baby will be. As far as Outliers goes, I just know about running with a crew through some cold muck making pictures.

Thanks for the compliments- sorry I'm not much help on your question!
    JSO

great concept and story, well shot and finely acted-
    fantastic work
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Very interesting, good concept, and good work.

Hey Johnny, just be careful with those festival rules as they can be pedantic. I found out the hard way 2 years ago. My film Dancer was disqualified from Tribeca because a few months earlier I screened at QIFF. Rules is rules I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by I Bloom View Post
    Jhoe,

I think there are different venues at Cannes and you can be an official selection without being in competition? I know I've had a few films there that I Dp'd that were in the marketplace etc, but it's not what you think. Anyways, hit me up for a beer some time, it's been a while.

Ian
    Aye it has been a good few years gone by Ian wow, that was back before RED. You still have my cell? I'm not at Publicis anymore but still always in midtown, can meet you for a pint anytime.
    J.Davis
    jdMAX.com

Awesome work man, can't believe it's a 48 hr!
    Gemini

Incredible work. Bravo.

Your wife is seriously talented.

-michael zaletel

Great work!

Just a precision, it's not in "official selection" which is really a huge thing to accomplish, it's registered HERE at the Short Film Corner as part of the "BEST OF THE 48 HOUR FILM PROJECT" program... I have a film there too in the "Short Film Corner Revelation 2010" program/shortlist. The SFC is not a "selection", anyone can register their shorts and you pay for so. It's a big market and great venue/window for buyers and distributors, and also an amazing place for short film makers around the world to exchange, share and network.

I think you should edit your publicity and be careful with this. There is a SFC logo/label that you can use on the SFC website when your film is registered there. They encourage you to use it for your publicity.

The link is HERE to download in EPS or JPG.

Like you can't use the "Palms" CFF logo for example, which a lot of shameless people do... I know people who got sued for putting the CFF logo on their poster to "brag" and now they are banned forever plus it cost them some... Cannes Film Festival is very serious about this as a lot of people profit from the confusion of "being in Cannes" as promoting their film as a Red Carpet biggie which I think is lame...

I just suggest you edit the post and Vimeo page and put in the real deal. Anyway it is your responsibility... I'm just trying to share my 20 years of Cannes experience...

Sorry to be so dull and I certainly don't want to rain on your parade, but I hate when people overdo the "Official Selection" thing. We all do it and I think it's fair and part of the process to brag and emulate publicity around our work, it's plain marketing, but be careful with some facts that are a bit too well known and can turn against you... Anyway, I'm sure it's not your case and more of a mistake or plain unmanaged enthusiasm... But you could get in trouble for doing so (and it's not very well seen to be honest)...

Anyway, I'm no Cannes police and other than that, it's a great film, really! Congrats! Hope to meet you at the SFC!

EDIT: Oh and congrats to your wife, she is excellent indeed!