Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red Camera Motion Picture Examples And 4k Workflow

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Red Camera Motion Picture Examples And 4k Workflow 
    Check out the site. File is 18megs 10sec long. Shot with 25mm Ziess HS prime.

http://web.mac.com/fini1/iWeb/Site%2...%20Camera.html

Niiice!
    But whats up with the banding from the strobe? Is that a compression artifact?

.........Ian Sun..........
    Anansi Moving Images

EPIC X 00498 Baby!!!
    MX RED ONE 1080
    p+++

....... T O R O N T O .......

3.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    RED One uses a fast rolling shutter. If you don't sync the flash to the shutter, it can split the flash. It's not a compression artifact.

Graeme
    www.red.com - 6k Digital Cinema Camera
    Science enables stories. Stories drive science
    FLUT™, Image Processing, Colour Science and Demosaic Algorithms, REDRAY 4K delivery

Yes, its something we noticed near the top of the day but decided we loved it because the pictures from the censor looked so great. Hopefully the kids that watch MTV love it too. People who arent savy with video dont notice it.

The strobing is caused from the fast rolling shutter on the red camera. I also found out from shooting tests that 1/48th is not really 1/48th on the red. More like 1/32 and that the 320ASA is more like a 100ASA so you need to poor on the light for interiors. We used Ziess high speed primes T1.3 and had a 6K HMI with 216 about 30ft away from talent as fill light. Performace was lit with 4ft 4 bank kino on low output as a key light about 5 ft from the lead singer and 2ft 4 bank kino as a backlight above the drummer. The images at 4K are grain free. If I used the 320ASA rating from Red I feel like I would have been underexposing the images. After evaluating the images in a telecine suite using an SONY HD CRT monitor I feel I overexposed 1 stop which I will continue to do to avoid grain.

Mr. Nattress at RED is working on the strobing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bachli View Post
    I also found out from shooting tests that 1/48th is not really 1/48th on the red. More like 1/32
    How did you come to that conclusion?

Graeme,
    Could we speak about the "fast rolling shutter" a bit. Does the shutter split the frame as it looks to in the clip from this post? Also it looks to split the frame at varable places within the frame. I am familiar with the rolling shutter of a film cam but this seems a bit odd. Is this a setting that can be corrected? How would this present problems with shooting monitors or HMI lamps for example?

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme Nattress View Post
    RED One uses a fast rolling shutter. If you don't sync the flash to the shutter, it can split the flash. It's not a compression artifact.

Graeme
    I guess this would become a problem when dealing with lightning simulation and gunfire indoors.

How exactly would one sync up Red?

Marc, the footage looks great by the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Kjetil Haugen View Post
    How did you come to that conclusion?
    I have shot about 200 music videos, most on 35mm so I know exacly what 1/48th looks like as a still image and the Red looked like it blurred the images a bit more than it should at real 1/48th. I think the solution would be to shoot at 1/90 (if that'seven a shutter angle on the red). Graeme and I also spoke about it. What an amazing camera so far though. This has changed everything for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Bachli View Post
    I have shot about 200 music videos, most on 35mm so I know exacly what 1/48th looks like as a still image and the Red looked like it blurred the images a bit more than it should at real 1/48th. I think the solution would be to shoot at 1/90 (if that'seven a shutter angle on the red). Graeme and I also spoke about it. What an amazing camera so far though. This has changed everything for me.
    Good to know, thanks. Yeah this camera has endless posibilities, I think. Very exiting times! It all comes down to the user in the end, and I think the knowledge we gain here will help us get the best out of the camera.

The clip looks great. Very encouraging! Was this all tweeked in Red Alert or did you do anything else while in after effects?

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    To get around the strobe issue, the duration of your strobe needs to be
    closer to a 24th of a second and synced to your shutter so you don't
    flash the strobe in the middle of a frame exposure.

What you're seeing as underexposure is really more to do with
    how one rates and processes raw. What settings are you using
    to process the footage you shot at 320?

1/48 really is 1/48 on the camera. The only setting that is not
    accurate is 1/24th which is currently mislabeled because the
    final timing on the wide open / no shutter is still in flux.

Deanan