trying to get a better understanding on things that influence the transcodes done with RedRocket and to what level.
i'm on a 8core mac 08 with rocket card in 8x slot.
as i understand it, the following items will influence my transcode speed:
1. position of the rocket card (8x slot is best if 16x is used for graphics card)
is putting rocket into a 16x and graphics into 8x a bad idea? will it make much difference?
2. graphics card itself (does it have any significant influence on speed? perhaps depending on the codec transcoded to? if so how?)
does it make material difference if:
- i transcode to and from external drives connected via esata or fw800 (sure the speeds of data transfer differ but are the transcoding speeds beating the data transfer speeds here?)
- transcoding with reading from one drive and writing to another or doing both on the same? again, here are the transcoding speeds beating the drive read/write speed factors, and how significantly?
- RAID0 for speed, again, here are the transcoding speeds beating the RAID0 read/write speed factors, and how significantly?
4. number of cores. (but that's solid until you get a new computer:) and codec dependent too.
5. codec, resolutions, de-squeezing during transcode
if someone can shine a light on significance of each factor (or any other factors if i missed some) vs transcode speeds.
and on slightly different, but relevant topic, how much difference RAID0s, gpu power, additional cards (like kona, BM) make for editing, color, etc. speeds aside from red rocket? for example is hdd speed a number 1 limiting factor in here?or how would you sort them in order of significance.