Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: How green is RED?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 How green is RED? 
    From an environmental stand point, how green is shooting on RED compared to shooting on film?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JFirestone View Post
    From an environmental stand point, how green is shooting on RED compared to shooting on film?
    Processing film uses many toxic chemicals that are not easily disposed of.

Red doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by explosive View Post
    Processing film uses many toxic chemicals that are not easily disposed of.

Red doesn't.
    Hi,

Whilst that was true in the past the photochemical process has been cleaned up. I wish I could say the same for waste computers.

Stephen
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

My impression of "green products" is that their just there for lazy people who can't dispose of their gear properly.
    Even Nuclear waste could be "green" if someone would come up with a way to get rid of that stuff properly.

Hi,

Well the first solar powered camera would be a good start, you can hand crank a film camera!

Stephen
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D

Tony scott loves those handcrank cameras.

You still need quite a lot of silver to make and process film. No matter how you cut it it's still a heavy metal. And you end up using the same amount, if not more computer hardware to finish a film these days.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    http://www.YouTube.com/evingrant
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Williams View Post
    Hi,

Whilst that was true in the past the photochemical process has been cleaned up. I wish I could say the same for waste computers.

Stephen
    Less toxic than really toxic is still pretty toxic.

There are several recycling firms extracting Gold and other precious metals from "waste computers". While there's no good way of getting around the petrochemical issue any way you slice it, you're still not allowed to dump exhausted processing chemistry down the drain. I'm sorry, but when you count the thousands of release prints made daily (millions of feet are processed per 24 hr. period 365 days a year) film still comes out on the Chernobyl side of the scale compared to Digital exhibition.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigWB View Post
    My impression of "green products" is that their just there for lazy people who can't dispose of their gear properly.
    Even Nuclear waste could be "green" if someone would come up with a way to get rid of that stuff properly.
    I actually worked on a project at Los Alamos. I assure you, Nuclear waste will never be "Green". How do you warn humans and animals to stay away from a mountain-sized storage facility for Radioactive Waste after 90% of all modern languages have long since been extinct? (250,000 years from now) It will still be "HOT". Some of those Brainiac's think it might turn into a "Volcano" as well.