Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: No More Red Drives

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 No More Red Drives 
    Red can do nothing for me.

I have 14 Red One MX cameras. Red doesn't make Red Drives any more, and there is no indication of when I can get the "new media". I explain to Red Representatives that I have 9 faulty red drives, which have already gone down for service, and have been returned with problems from my productions for various reasons.

I actually need more Red Drives - so I am between a rock and a hard place because Red tells me their are no solutions for me except 16GB cards

16GB cards are problem if I need more that 8 minutes a load...

help...

Richard

2.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    I am confused. We have offered to eval/repair the RED-DRIVES that you say are faulty. I do not think that qualifies as we "can do nothing" for you. It is at your discretion if you want to send in for eval/repair, not ours.

Correct, we no longer have RED-DRIVE for sale. Correct, we cannot give an ETA on new media coming down the pike.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    Correct, we no longer have RED-DRIVE for sale. Correct, we cannot give an ETA on new media coming down the pike.
    BC
    Hi Brent:

You know I think the world of RED. This just doesn't seem like RED to stop manufacturing such a critical component that has no 3rd party alternatives and have no ETA for a replacement. Am I missing something?

-michael zaletel

Quote Originally Posted by michael zaletel View Post
    Hi Brent:

You know I think the world of RED. This just doesn't seem like RED to stop manufacturing such a critical component that has no 3rd party alternatives and have no ETA for a replacement. Am I missing something?

-michael zaletel
    Gotta agree with Michael here.

This doesn't affect me at all since my r1 is on long term and I am now only in the holding pattern for my epic, (so I should probably keep my mouth shut) but it doesn't seem right and with due respect to Noah, the "it's so much cheaper than a Sony" excuse gets old. I can understand moving out of hard drives, but Where's the 64 gig cards that were announced at red day in February? Bugs and firmware spins shouldn't really be affecting that.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Helium 8KS35 (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

There are no RED-Drives and RED-RAMs in RED Store.

So what about 8000 RED cameras? What medium should people use for recording?

16GB cards? Are you RED guys serious?

Dylan Macleod, CSC
    Cinematographer
    LA/NY/TO
    www.dylanmacleod.com

Senior Member Stephen Strangways's Avatar
    I'm feeling the pain on this, too. I'm prepping for a series that will need solid-state media and longer recording times, so I'm really torn - will the 64 GB CF cards arrive in time for the start of shooting, or do I need to hunt down some used RED-RAM drives?

If you can't give an ETA on new media, but you can still get RED-RAMs and RED-Drives to fill existing back-orders, why can't you keep going and fill new orders on them, at least until the new media is available?

Brent,

The Drives were sent to Red for repair and upgrade - however, problems still occurred with these drives after repair. Yes Red did evaluate and repair the drives and they are still faulty. So do I send them back for second repair - even if they are under warranty - I can't trust the repairs. Do I gamble again hoping I don't get angry calls that media is lost or they can't remove the media from the drives because the drive doesn't spin during transfer.

I would rather get new drives but you have answered that issue already - none to have. I am not the emeny here, our first camera is 182 and we have lots more. We have been here since the beginning.

If Red would have said to me - there will be no more Red Drives - ever - please purchase now - I would have made arrangements, but to all of sudden say - so sorry - we don't make them any more, and there is nothing to replace that media - puts in me position to find Red Drives in the grey market with no guarantees.

I am not attacking Red - I just need support

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    I am confused. We have offered to eval/repair the RED-DRIVES that you say are faulty. I do not think that qualifies as we "can do nothing" for you. It is at your discretion if you want to send in for eval/repair, not ours.

BC

I think that RED has tons of 16GB cards and they need to sell it :-)

Yes the media situation is really a shame. I'm stuck with only one 320GB drive and a buddy of mine sharing my second cam can't get a drive at all.
    Andrae Palmer
    Founder, FACETMEDIA LLC
    facebook.com/facetmedia

Package for rent in South Florida with RED EPIC Dragon, RED One, Sony a7S II, Canon 5D Mark III, Canon L lenses, Zeiss CP.2 T1.5 Super Speeds, EZ Rig + DJI Ronin & EZ Jib + Remote Head. Grip package with LED LitePanels 1X1, Kino Flo 4x4, ARRI Fresnels & Source Four Leko. Rentals/Equipment List: http://facetmedia.com/camera-packages/