Thread: Moving Red Rocket between Stations ?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Moving Red Rocket between Stations ? 
    What would be your recommendations for an elegant, quick and easy way to move one rocket card between several stations according to where it is mostly needed at one time: On Scratch, Symphony, Assistant's RedCine ( Storm later on), playout to projector, may be Smoke later on. etc...

The idea is to be able to use it externally without opening the computer cases.
    Kind of an external movable box with the Rocket inside and each computer is equipped with an external plug to plug it in.

Solution has not to be mobile, it is all done in a secure and controlled machinery room environment.

I believe that such a solution is needed as Rocket support is added to more and more softwares and depending on projects it may be more useful on one machine or another.

Any suggestions ?
    M Korek
    thepostoffice.com.lb - Beirut - Lebanon
    RED-Scratch-Lustre-Flame-Smoke-Symphony-DCP

Quote Originally Posted by M Korek View Post
    What would be your recommendations for an elegant, quick and easy way to move one rocket card between several stations according to where it is mostly needed at one time: On Scratch, Symphony, Assistant's RedCine ( Storm later on), playout to projector, may be Smoke later on. etc...

The idea is to be able to use it externally without opening the computer cases.
    Kind of an external movable box with the Rocket inside and each computer is equipped with an external plug to plug it in.

Solution has not to be mobile, it is all done in a secure and controlled machinery room environment.

I believe that such a solution is needed as Rocket support is added to more and more softwares and depending on projects it may be more useful on one machine or another.

Any suggestions ?
    Digital Maxx for the Red Rocket Mobile works for sharing the RR with Mac and PC. You can buy the esata powerbook cable and the PCI cable for MacPro or Windows station. I share my RR with a MBP 17 and win64 bits station (more tests are coming).

Olivier
    Epic dragon, scarlett, K5600, Dedolight
    Paris
    The frenchie doc

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier Madar View Post
    Digital Maxx for the Red Rocket Mobile works for sharing the RR with Mac and PC.
    Olivier
    Thank you for this information Olivier...
    I called Digital Maxx a little over a week ago and spoke to one of their techs and he said that they (or RED) hadn't tested this hardware with any windows based machines; therefore, he couldn't speculate for sure if it worked on a windows 7 platform.

You have tested this product alongside of windows 7?
    (thanks Tor)

Thank you once again.

edit... I just realized that they listed windows at the bottom of their page... thanks again.
    I don't deserve His forgiveness...

And the mobile rocket, while useful for mobile applications, would seriously restrict bandwidth in most desktop scenarios. You would do better to put the Rocket, and perhaps a few other useful goodies, in a larger PCIe expander system that can provide the full bandwidth and more.

But with the cost of expansion systems and RED Rockets at $3K for a refurbished "battle tested" unit, I think you should just buy a couple more Rocket cards and simplify the whole experience. Then you don't have people fighting over it and more than one system can be productive with a Rocket at any time. The only way to share a Rocket and really save cost over one additional Rocket would be to go the expander route. And super cheap beyond that would be to swap the card to each system when needed. But that just seems like a good waste of valuable time and unnecessary wear and potential risk to the card itself.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Can you be specific about the risk to the card? I have removed a card from an editing station and it is now on set with a DIT in a mac tower. What should I be worried about? Or what should the DIT be careful with (besides the obvious like don't spill any coffee on it or zap it with static electricity)?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    And the mobile rocket, while useful for mobile applications, would seriously restrict bandwidth in most desktop scenarios. You would do better to put the Rocket, and perhaps a few other useful goodies, in a larger PCIe expander system that can provide the full bandwidth and more.

But with the cost of expansion systems and RED Rockets at $3K for a refurbished "battle tested" unit, I think you should just buy a couple more Rocket cards and simplify the whole experience. Then you don't have people fighting over it and more than one system can be productive with a Rocket at any time. The only way to share a Rocket and really save cost over one additional Rocket would be to go the expander route. And super cheap beyond that would be to swap the card to each system when needed. But that just seems like a good waste of valuable time and unnecessary wear and potential risk to the card itself.

Just typical risks from handling a card and moving it about. Yeah, ground yourself when installing or uninstalling the card. Don't touch any of the circuits and especially not the PCIe connector. Keep it in an anti-static bag, in a protected packaging or case when transporting, etc.. Nothing special here, but constantly moving cards about between systems introduces an element of risk, that's all.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

If you don' want to sacrifice on the x8 speed, Magma ExpressBox 2 would give you x8 speed. You can purchase extra PCIe and Express Card 34 host cards for each computer then just take the magma box between them.

But I have to warn you that the fan noise is pretty bad on Magma.

connecting via Express Card 34 limits you to x1 speed.
    Kaku Ito/dittok

Weapon Helium 8K S35
    , Epic-M DRAGON, Epic-X, RED ONE, Motion Mount EF, Canon Ti Mount, Nikon Alu Mount, almost all Sigma EF lenses, RED ROCKET X, DaVinci Resolve, Dell XPS15 wiith Razer Core, MacBook Pro 13inch Retina, Fully loaded PC Workstation, Calman with Klein probe.

dittok One Stop RAW Visual Production Service