I received my RED CF station a couple of weeks ago. Yesterday finally had the courage to take it through some field testing.
Here is what I use for Data Management:
- 15.4" Macbook Pro with OSX 10.5.8
- 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM
- R3D Data Manager 6.1
- Expresscard slot, 1x FW800 and 2x USB
- Expresscard to 2x ESata Adapter (have 3 different kinds, Iomega, Lacie and $150 Sonnet)
Here is what I found in regards to using RED CF Station:
1. Esata transfer speed to local drive on laptop is about 80 MB/sec. Not bad.
2. HOWEVER transfer to an external USB drive is unusually slow, around 10MB/sec. RED TEAM, any insight into this? Tried connecting Red Station via, Esata (expresscard adapter) or via FW800 - same result! For the sake of comparison I kept the same Hard Drive configuration and replaced the Red Station with the old Lexar CF reader - transfer speed went up to 20-30MB/sec!
3. Even though REd says that Red Station uses the same CF reader as the one in the REd ONE, I found the "feel" on how the card inserts completely different. Some cards needed more than "usual" effort in order to be inserted, as if things aren't quite perfectly aligned inside the reader. In fact, one of my Red CF cards does not go in the Red Station AT ALL!!! Checked the pins inside - all appear fine. Same card inserts effortlessly into the Red ONE body.
4. Occasional copy errors with R3D Data Manager always existed on my system. I could never explain them - tried switching readers, cables, you name it. A simple re-transfer normally fixed the problem. I was hoping that with RED CD Station this problem would go away. Well, no it didn't... Same thing as with the Lexar reader, except the transfer speed is slower. :)
Anyone has any further insight into this, or any more feedback - appreciated!!!