Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED MX and Anamorphic film

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Congrats John. Welcome to RedUser. :}

Quote Originally Posted by John Schwartzman ASC View Post
    4K DI at Co3.
    wow, a 4K DI? , what a treat! Thanks for sharing, always great to get REAL WORLD feedback.
    Kind regards,

Tim Whitcomb
    Filmmaker

Great post. Thanks for sharing Mr. Schwartzman :)

Fascinating stuff. Thank you for the glimpse into your world, using RED MX.

WOW!

4k DI ana. vs RED MX 2.40 sphere.... serious mano e mano.
    MX was throwing resolution away too!

Bring on the RED anamorphics!

Great report.
    "Any smaller and it would be vaporware."

Trained Professional
    I don't really know how to use this forum but here's what I can tell you, the RED crew have treated me like a king, I've have never before the Green Hornet even had my hands on a digital imaging camera and now I feel like an expert, I can talk RECODE with Jim, Deanen and Micheal Cioni and I sound like know what I am talking about! I am not a technical cinematographer, I apprenticed with Vittorio Storaro and he told me to trust my eye and my heart not my meter, and that's what I have done, and with a lot of l luck it has served me well in my career. My experience with the RED camera has been the same as with any other camera, understand how it sees the world, and then use that it tell your story. On the Green Hornet Kodak 5219 made the "Green Hornet's" green jacket look blue, and 5229 made the jacket look green, so I chose 5229 because it saw the world closer to what it really was, the RED MX is the same, understand how it sees the world and do your magic as a cinematographer to help it tell your story. I have been part of a very select group of DP's that have actually shot with the EPIC and I can tell that the 3lb 5K camera is a game changer, end of story, game over, pick your cliche'. I am still very committed to film, it 's still the best data recorder if budget isn't an object. I don't think we've figured out digital archiving, and if you shoot EPIC you will have a lot of data. I will tell you this I have shot more tests on the EPIC than probably any other DP other than my mate Andrew Lesnie who is doing the "Hobbit", we skype daily about how this camera blows our mutual minds, when you see these image projected at 4K it's like looking a vistavision. For those of you lucky enough to get to use this tiny masterpiece all I can say is "data storage" we all asked for less compression and Jim has brought it on us. My thanks to the RED ARMY(Jim, Jarred, Deanen, Ted, Lia, Nate) and LightIron for educating me on de-bayering and not making me afraid of the future of cinematography, and most of all thank you Jim, it's Chanuka, so all I can say is that you are a mensch. I bet you can't wait for my next post! If for some reason I wanted to post on the EPIC site how would I do that?

John
    Last edited by John Schwartzman ASC; 12-02-2010 at 10:42 PM.

Orange County, California - San Antonio, Texas
    Welcome to the Reduser forum Mr. Schwartzman. Its wonderful having a cinematographer of your caliber commenting on this forum. I absolutely loved your work on Seabiscuit, what a stunningly good looking film (one of my dad's favorites as well).

Please keep us posted on your experiences with the Epic. I have a feeling it is going to revolutionize both 2D and 3D cinematography.
    "The screen is a magic medium. It has such power that it can retain interest as it conveys emotions and moods that no other art form can hope to tackle."- Stanley Kubrick.

"Touched by a masterpiece, a person begins to hear in himself that same call of truth which prompted the artist to his creative act. When a link is established between the work and its beholder, the latter experiences a sublime, purging trauma."- Andrei Tarkovsky

Trained Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Rieger View Post
    Welcome to the Reduser forum Mr. Schwartzman. Its wonderful having a cinematographer of your caliber commenting on this forum. I absolutely loved your work on Seabiscuit, what a stunningly good looking film (one of my dad's favorites as well).

Please keep us posted on your experiences with the Epic. I have a feeling it is going to revolutionize both 2D and 3D cinematography.
    Thank You, like all cinematographers we do it for ourselves and hope other people like it. I am a digital novice but I am fortunate to be surrounded by the likes of Steve Freebairn, Micheal Cioni and Brook Willard, who have taken me under there wing to reducate me.

Welcome aboard, John!

You can follow this link to get to the Epic section if you wanted to make a post.

Trained Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook Willard View Post
    Welcome aboard, John!

You can follow this link to get to the Epic section if you wanted to make a post.
    Thanks for taking me under your wing, I think we are on the cutting edge of doing something amazing together and I think you've got a great eye and even a better bedside manner, the next 6 months are going to be fun!