Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red Rocket - NO OLPF or Noise Reduction

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Red Rocket - NO OLPF or Noise Reduction 
    I found out today that the Red Rocket does realtime 4k debayering but without
    OLPF compensation and noise reduction.

So the RR card is not suited for Finishing/Mastering and is more geared towards dailies which don't require the best possible images quality.

How come?
    And can/will OLPF and noise reduction be supported on the RR card?
    Rory Hinds
    Director / DoP / Colourist
    Mine Films & Mountain DI

http://www.minefilms.com

UK, USA, CANADA, EUROPE & SOUTH AFRICA

IATSE 669 Director of Photography
    VFX, Grading & Finishing

I believe the Rocket isn't intended as a finishing solution or a dailies solution.

Its a dedicated processor for debayering and playback of R3D data. It doesn't do anything else.

You should couple a Rocket, used for its compute power, with a more traditional video i/o card for monitoring. (Like a BlackMagic Decklink or AJA Kona for 1080p & 2K finishing)

The Rocket will hook up directly to various display devices and give you an image, but I don't know any software aside from Storm and RedCine that uses it that way. Neither of those are finishing solutions. Maybe Scratch?

In fact, I don't know ANY video i/o hardware that does noise reduction or OLPF compensation. Every system I've ever used does this in software. Even systems that use hardware acceleration (Like Resolve) are just taking advantage of special interfaces (Like CUDA or OpenCL) to run their software on hardware that's better suited to it than a general purpose CPU.
    Alexander Ibrahim
    Director & DP
    editing/color correction/compositing/effects
    http://www.alexanderibrahim.net
    http://www.zenera.com

Roy,

[The below is actually NOT correct b/c the process "OLPF compensation" is done out of camera. I confused this with the OLPF filter itself. Very sorry for that.]

I can say that whoever told you that is absolutely wrong as far OLPF is concerned. That is because "OLPF" stands for "Optical Low-Pass Filter." So the OLPF is a light diffusion filter that is positioned inside the camera just in front of the sensor. There is no possible way that a RedRocket card inside a computer can in anyway affect the OLPF.

As for noise reduction, I imagine the RR does whatever is set in RC-X, but I can't say that as emphatically as what I've said above.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Ibrahim View Post
    Its a dedicated processor for debayering and playback of R3D data. It doesn't do anything else.
    I just want to point out that part of that "playback" is decompression. Debayering is not as processor intensive as decompression is. And FWIU, doing a 1/4 or 1/8 debayer is not so much fater b/c the debayer is less but rather b/c less decompression is involved.

OLPF conpensation - basically an unsharp mask - a post process thats better done in a finishing app.

Noise reduction - There is definitely some kind of reduction going on in the processing, but very very subtle - again more coarse reduction is best done in a finishing app.

Again te rocket seems to be purpose built for extracting the perfect frames from R3D files. Further processing like DNR, Sharpening, secondairies is better done on the GPU thru a decent grading app, and not redcine-x.
    Facebook Skype: aholck

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
    Roy,

I can say that whoever told you that is absolutely wrong as far OLPF is concerned. That is because "OLPF" stands for "Optical Low-Pass Filter." So the OLPF is a light diffusion filter that is positioned inside the camera just in front of the sensor. There is no possible way that a RedRocket card inside a computer can in anyway affect the OLPF.

As for noise reduction, I imagine the RR does whatever is set in RC-X, but I can't say that as emphatically as what I've said above.
    Well, You are technically correct about OLPF, you are forgetting that the red sdk DOES include OLPF compensation. Which in turn give you sharper images.

Same goes for the chroma denoise.

I believe Michael cionni explained how they decided to CPU debayer instead of rocket for precisely that reason.

Baselight Color Correction and DI, DaVinci Film Transfers (S35,35,S16 & 16) & Tape to Tape
    Smoke Advanced & Smoke HD ON-Line Suites
    (3) GFX/VFX Suites
    (2) Final Cut Pro Suites with HD-SDI Monitoring and IO
    ProTools 5.1 HD Suite, with HD-SDI monitoring/IO,recording booth & FX-Music Libraries
    (2) On-Set workstations powered by RED Rocket™ with 16TB RAID 6 storage & Dual-ESata CFReaders

Wow was I WRONG!

Seriously, I'm very sorry giving out the wrong info. and doing so so vehemently.

There's a couple of more nice things about CPU debayer, DRX is my favourite, but I can now emulate it pretty close manually for rocket-renders...
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://blog.gunleik.com

Dragon short: "Sweet..." https://vimeo.com/74358938

Current Indiegogo Campaign: #godtnorsk:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/godtnorsk/x/541483

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
    Wow was I WRONG!

Seriously, I'm very sorry giving out the wrong info. and doing so so vehemently.
    Dont worry. That's why we are here.

To share our knowledge and get better.

Oh, I forgot about DRX!

Baselight Color Correction and DI, DaVinci Film Transfers (S35,35,S16 & 16) & Tape to Tape
    Smoke Advanced & Smoke HD ON-Line Suites
    (3) GFX/VFX Suites
    (2) Final Cut Pro Suites with HD-SDI Monitoring and IO
    ProTools 5.1 HD Suite, with HD-SDI monitoring/IO,recording booth & FX-Music Libraries
    (2) On-Set workstations powered by RED Rocket™ with 16TB RAID 6 storage & Dual-ESata CFReaders

So its correct in saying the Rocket is not best suited for High Quality Finishing work and you should always do a CPU transcode to get the best possible picture to work with.

I'm sure the Rocket is fine for TV and other delivery formats that don't require the utmost quality but need a fast turnaround.
    Rory Hinds
    Director / DoP / Colourist
    Mine Films & Mountain DI

http://www.minefilms.com

UK, USA, CANADA, EUROPE & SOUTH AFRICA

IATSE 669 Director of Photography
    VFX, Grading & Finishing