Thread: Red in OZ

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Seek professional advice.

but what I go so far from the the web is
    http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...anges_Bill.pdf
    and search for 8525.80 I hope it is classed as 8525.80.10 ---Digital cameras Free

But I guess we need to ring some one on this list http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...07Contacts.pdf
    Let us know what you end up with.

David

Quote Originally Posted by david farland View Post
    Good to meet you at SMPTE, Brainstorm. Good demo of Quantel Pablo 4K online system. Didn't get a price but a few $A100,000 was mentioned.

The Sony 4K projector ($A160,000) didn't blow my socks off even on Mystic India. Could have been some weird shit on setup or maybe it wasn't full 4K. I worked out my viewing angle of the screen was 130 degrees which says I should be seeing full rez 4K.....maybe I'm going blind.
    Interesting to note the Sony 4K projector needs 4 dual HD-SDI connections to drive it. Also interesting that AFTRS has purchased a sony 4K projector and who was that cinema in Melbourne?.....Crown??
    DF
    Likewise David. I enjoyed chatting with you too!

I suspect the Quantel Pablo system would be well over the half-million $ mark. I've been doing some work for a production in New Zealand over recent years and they just installed a new Quantel iQ system in their online suite. Even that has a list price above that, and it can't handle 4K.

I was really impressed by the images of the Sony 4K projector, even when it running pics shot at 1080. I don't recall which cinema it was in Melbourne that purchased one.

Also, did you know that Broadcom (in Artarmon) have a 2K cinema which can be hired for screenings, watching rushes, crew viewings, etc? Could be handy when you get your RED and want to see some images projected.

Quote Originally Posted by Djtech74 View Post
    Seek professional advice.

but what I go so far from the the web is
    http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...anges_Bill.pdf
    and search for 8525.80 I hope it is classed as 8525.80.10 ---Digital cameras Free

But I guess we need to ring some one on this list http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...07Contacts.pdf
    Let us know what you end up with.

David
    Thanks for that info Djtech.

Just a quick note:

Australia Rocks! I'm over here for a couple of weeks (from L.A.), and I just have to say how incredible the first few days have been.

You Aussie's know a good time and are laid back and very cool. Sydney is amazing... and Cronulla beach is a great time.

looking forward to the rest of our stay... which may include Bondi, Hunter Valley, the Blue Mountains, and Darling Harbor... we'll see where the adventure takes us...

Rock on.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Green View Post
    Just a quick note:

Australia Rocks! I'm over here for a couple of weeks (from L.A.), and I just have to say how incredible the first few days have been.

You Aussie's know a good time and are laid back and very cool. Sydney is amazing... and Cronulla beach is a great time.

looking forward to the rest of our stay... which may include Bondi, Hunter Valley, the Blue Mountains, and Darling Harbor... we'll see where the adventure takes us...

Rock on.

Happy to hear you're having a good time Casey! I forget to tell you before, if you want to know what music is on around the city's bars and clubs, go down to a record store and pick up a copy of one of the free gig guides, like 'Drum Media' or '3D'. They'll tell you what's on.

Cheers
    Brainstorm

Quote Originally Posted by Brainstorm View Post
    I don't recall which cinema it was in Melbourne that purchased one.
    The Capitol Theatre, owned by RMIT - exciting, since I know some of the AVS guys there who spoke very highly of the projector. They haven't, however, purchased a playback server (e.g. QuVis); I think they're waiting for a slightly cheaper alternative.

I'd be interested in any local Oz Red group.

I am camera 22 - so we are looking good for NAB timeframe

Mike
    Red One#22 and EPIC #123
    Web: www.fxguide.com www.fxphd.com
    Twitter: mikeseymour
    Cohost: The RC, vfxshow, and fxpodcast podcasts

just an update: Had an incredible time in Sydney and the surrounding areas. We made it up to the Blue Mountains, Hunter Valley, Bondi, The Rocks, Opera House, Harbor Bridge, etc.... and stayed both at Cronulla Beach and then at Darling Harbor...

What a beautiful city and country.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice on places to visit.

We'll definitely come back...

Cheers,

-CG

:usd:

I'll second that Casey. I've been all over Oz on several extended production trips. Can't wait to go back...
    Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    Golden Gate 3D - www.gg3d.com

Co-Producer, IMAX film CUBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijvjeZ89qY
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stevegibby/

Gibby,

Yep, we just got back (still on Aussie time as you can see) and already I'd love to go back... It was a perfect time of year to visit, just gorgeous.

Oh, and one other great stop was the IMAX theatre in Darling Harbor... which is the world's largest. They had some great films playing and while I was watching , I couldn't help but think of what Red 4K would look like on that large a screen...