Thread: REDusers in Vancouver

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Hello Vancouver,

We're going to have the first ever North West RED Users Group meeting, in Seattle, Sunday, July 15, from noon to 1:30 pm. How else? At a coffee house. *smiles* So far we have four or five people confirmed. And you're invited.

Details including map are here in Post 33 of the RED in RAin City? Seattle WA USA? thread, where full discussion follows the organizing post.

We very much want you to come down to Seattle and attend.

Please let us know either here in this thread, or over in the Seattle thread if you can make it, so we can guess at a count. Thanks so much, and we really hope to see many of you there.

Best,
    Jesse Wendel

Yo, Vancouver, Portland, Seattle: More confirmations you are coming to the July 15th RED Users Group meeting please. You are coming, right? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Wendel View Post
    Announcing the first ever Seattle/Portland RED Meeting

Sunday, July 15, 12:00-1:30 PM -- that's 90 minutes.

CAFFÉ VITA -- Google Map
    1005 E. Pike Street
    Seattle, Washington 98122
    (206) 709-4440 or (888) 223-VITA
    Hours
    Monday - Friday: 6am - 11pm
    Saturday - Sunday: 7am - 11pm
    Free Wi-fi for customers

Start on time. Hang out afterwards. *smiles*

If you're in, please RSVP below so we can get a count.

Thank you everyone,
    Jesse Wendel
    Let's have a LOT of people show up. We'll have our shipping schedule by then. It's going to be worth showing up.

People will have stuff to talk about: cooperation and arrangements to set up, shooting schedules to start coordinating, fall back plans to make (e.g.:if your camera hiccups you can borrow mine while it's in the shop during October if during November you'll do the same for me while I'm shooting), and much, much more.

You're not going to want to miss it.

SO PLEASE LET US KNOW YOU'RE GOING TO BE THERE. User Groups are what makes life easier for everyone. Not to mention it's fun, getting to know the girls and guys foresighted enough to buy RED. Some of us have will have been waiting a year and a half by the time we get our cameras. *laughs* It's going to be great, so come hang out with other people at least somewhat similar to yourself. Damn, that's a scary thought.

The North West RED Users Group -- nominations are NOW OPEN for a better name -- may someday save your ass by getting a camera or part to you in minutes to hours. Worst case, some User Group member might have to give a PA or even personally drive you a part or a lens or a camera, but that's three hours max [not counting border delays] and that's hella faster than FedEx and cheaper than same-day air delivery up from RED central. Or perhaps you just need someone who knows the camera even better than you do because you're stuck and you need them now and on set. That's what User Groups are made for.

I love our global community here on reduser.net, but it's virtual. User Groups are physical. You can make friends in person, hang out on each others shoots, grab coffee, teach each other tricks using the actual camera or editing software right there in your very hands.

I've always loved User Groups, the ones where I'm highly competent, where I'm a raw beginner, and where I'm somewhere in between. Everyone wins, because the community as a whole keeps getting stronger.

Support your local Users Group. Come to our first meeting; be a plank-owner!

And please let us know you're attending. Also, please attend! *smiles*

Jesse Wendel

PS. Vancouver, you can post your confirmations here or in the Seattle thread. I'll check both places. *smiles* Also, feel free to private message me with any questions or concerns. -jwe

I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to make it.

But I would like to nominate 'the Cascadian Red Collective' as a name that encompasses the greater part of the Pacific Northwest, is inclusive of both Canadian and American passport holders, acronyms nicely to 'The CRC'... and because my libertarian sense of humour finds the communist connotations worth a chuckle.
    Clint Johnson
    http://clintjohnson.com
    Original Owner RED One #351
    Part owner of RED Epic-X

Hi Clint,

Well, it's a shame you won't be able to make it. If you know any other RED folks up there, please invite them to come on down.

Love the name CRC. *laughs*

Jesse Wendel

5. #25 Van Red User Group 
    Hey all,
    My name is Brian Hulme. I'm a Vancouver local filmmaker / editor / cinematographer. I just wanted to say what's up and throw my name into the mix for the Red user group here. I am very very very interested in the camera and I wish I could afford to order one now. One day it will be mine, oh yes it will be mine. For now although, I would love to hear about anything going on in the area and touch base with any of you Red users who might be renting out your cams in the future. I wish I could attend Seattle in July, but I am just too busy.
    Thanks!

Brian Hulme

6. #26 Just ordered it! 
    Hey guys,

I'm another guy who will have it but probably not as early as all of you. My res # is probably between 2100-2300. :)

Did you guys buy all the accessories or lenses?
    Norm Li, csc
    Cinematographer
    http://www.norm-li.com

Alexa Mini's, Arricam LT 2-perf, Arri 235 4-perf, Arri 416 Plus HS, Leica Summilux-C Sets, Cooke S4/i Sets, Arri Master Primes Set, TLS Cooke Panchros, Angenieux Optimos, Lomo Anamorphics, Arri Ultra16’s, etc.

Banned
    Hey Norm.

Its good to see you on here and holding a RED reservation!

Thanks Brett!

I'm pretty happy...actually I'm ecstatic and regretting that I never reserved earlier. DAMN.
    Norm Li, csc
    Cinematographer
    http://www.norm-li.com

Alexa Mini's, Arricam LT 2-perf, Arri 235 4-perf, Arri 416 Plus HS, Leica Summilux-C Sets, Cooke S4/i Sets, Arri Master Primes Set, TLS Cooke Panchros, Angenieux Optimos, Lomo Anamorphics, Arri Ultra16’s, etc.

I'm pretty happy too, the Canadian dollar is around 95 cents to the USD. Analysts predict it could be at par by the end of this year. We're living in very promising times.

I'm waiting to see what Birger Engineering comes out with. I think it would be more cost effective to use the Canon EOS Lenses without much quality loss. Other than that I ordered LCD, RED Drive, Battery Pack, Premium Production Pack and of course the body.

I have a few screenplays that we'll be shooting, one at a time. Independent style.

REMINDER REMINDER REMINDER REMINDER

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Wendel View Post
    Announcing the first ever Seattle/Portland RED Meeting

Sunday, July 15, 12:00-1:30 PM -- that's 90 minutes.

CAFFÉ VITA -- Google Map
    1005 E. Pike Street
    Seattle, Washington 98122
    (206) 709-4440 or (888) 223-VITA
    Hours
    Monday - Friday: 6am - 11pm
    Saturday - Sunday: 7am - 11pm
    Free Wi-fi for customers

Start on time. Hang out afterwards. *smiles*
    REMINDER REMINDER REMINDER REMINDER

That is THIS Sunday, my dear rain-loving RED reservation holders and fans.

See you there!
    Jesse Wendel