This is not to compete with HDRx™™™™™™™™™™™™.
It's about to add one more HDR option using R3D (REDCODE RAW) files.
What is HDRy™(Ypsilon)?
HDRy™(Ypsilon) is an idea from RED User Sanjin Jukic that giving user of RED1 M, RED1 MX, Epic and Scarlet
an option for extended dynamic range when is possible to make it and extremely depends on a user decision
to do that step in the postproduction.
How does HDRy™(Ypsilon) work?
Very easy and simple:
1. Export two TIFF images from each frame using the latest RCX build (the current is RCX B356).
2. The first image has a normal exposure and other adjustments at it was shot or you can do also your own adjustment in RCX.
3. The second image has many RCX adjustments using Curves, FLUT, Shadows, Contrast, Saturation, etc,..all by user.
4. Output each image in separate folders.
5. Combine those to images using any HDR enhancing tool available to you (I did it with PhotoMatix Pro using Exposure Fusion to adjust Highlights and Shadows).
6. Save these files as a 16bit TIFFs and import them as an image sequence at a movie editor software of your choice (FCP, Avid, Vegas, etc,…).
1. There is no any problem with motion because your shutter always stays as it was recorded (1/48, 1/50 or whatever shutter speed of your choice you were recording…)
2. There is no need to double your file during recording in Epic and Scarlet.
3. Also you can with HDRy workflow HDR enhance your footage from RED1 M or RED1 MX sensor.
4. It's working RIGHT NOW and TODAY with your M or MX (better) R3D files.
1. It is very slow process to do step by step right now but can be much accelerated if somebody could write an Automator script for Mac OS X,
make plug in or even to write a standalone app to work with HDR enhancing of R3D files in this way during postproduction.
Normal image: Shot handheld on RED1 MX with Leica-M Apo-Summicron 75mm f/2.0 @ wide open f/2.0, 1/50, ISO 1600.
Screen grab from RCX B356 for Normal image...
RCX B356 adjusted image: Shot handheld on RED1 MX with Leica-M Apo-Summicron 75mm f/2.0 @ wide open f/2.0, 1/50.
Screen grab from RCX B356 for RCX adjusted image...
HDRy™(Ypsilon) enhanced image with Exposure Fusion of two images: Shot handheld on RED1 MX with Leica-M Apo-Summicron 75mm f/2.0 @ wide open f/2.0, 1/50.
Screen grab from PhotoMatix Pro HDR with Exposure Fusion enhanced image...
Download 1 second of ProRes 1920x823 wide screen footage>>>
Download 1 second of H264 1920x823 wide screen footage>>>
THE BEST TO WATCH IS TO PLAY ANY THESE FILES IN LOOP!!!!