CURRENT FIRMWARE BUILD/ CAMERA FEATURES
Build 9, RED ONE camera firmware v1.5.0 Nov 02, 2007
>> Clip Playback via RED-EVF, RED-LCD, PREVIEW or HDMI monitor outputs. Simple Exposure Meter, Enhanced Focus Assist, Enhanced False Color Mapping <<
Installation Instructions for Build 9, RED ONE camera firmware v1.5.0
* This upgrade is fully contained in the folder " build_9_red_one_v1.5.0 "
* In that folder is a copy of this Read Me file and the folder named " Upgrade "
* The " Upgrade " folder includes the camera firmware upgrade file " su.tar "
* DO NOT rename this folder, the camera only opens a folder named " Upgrade "
* Do NOT decompress the " su.tar " file, the camera will perform that task.
* DO format a CF card, or use a CF card that you have recorded with.
* DO connect the CF card to your P.C or Macintosh via a CF card reader.
* DO copy the folder called " Upgrade " onto the CF card.
* Unmount the CF card from your computer (drag to the trash can)
* Insert the CF card into the CF card slot of your RED-ONE camera.
* If the camera is powered down, power the camera.
* If the camera is powered up, first power down the camera, wait ten seconds, and then power up the camera.
* On power up the camera rear status display will report " New Firmware "
* Press the joystick to confirm, and the rear status display will then report " Upgrading "
* Note : If you are observing the RED-LCD or other monitor output during the upgrade process, a blue progress bar will be visible. This bar will continue for the duration of the upgrade, approximately five minutes.
* At the end of the upgrade process, the rear status display will report "O.K. Cycle Power" The RED-LCD or other monitor port will report " Upgrade Complete. Power cycle the camera to continue. "
* Power down the camera, wait ten seconds, then power the camera up again.
* Verify that the camera rear status display and or monitors report back
PIN (n/a or value specific to camera) Build 9 Version 1.5.0
* Installation is now complete.
Significant changes since Build 8, RED ONE v1.3.6 released Oct 18, 2007
* Playback of recorded clips on camera.
* Cue to beginning of existing clips, step through recorded clip list
* Normal, Fast Forward and Reverse playback.
* Addition of Simple Exposure Meter - indicates clipping in R G B channels
* Enhanced Focus Assist Algorithm with adjustable sample window
* Enhanced False Color Exposure Meter with new Skin Tone indication (Pink band)
* Toggle of METERS ON/OFF by User Key of RED-EVF
* Toggle of COLOR ON/OFF by User Key of RED-EVF
* Simplified VIEWFINDER menu structure.
* Change to project logic. Change of Resolution no longer forces New Project.
* Improved Accuracy of Time Code when not in Jam Sync (external reference) mode
* Fixed Edge Code reporting as 1.00.00.000 on power cycle
* Camera log file created on media unmount
* PIN, Build and Version data reported on request in status display
Known firmware restrictions for Build 9, RED ONE v 1.5.0
* Clips recorded on other cameras or with earlier builds may not play back
* Histograms scale incorrectly when a percentage of pixels clip.
* 4K recording is not yet supported by RED ALERT or by QuickTime Player.
* 4K _H, _M and _P QuickTimes created by camera crash QuickTime Player.
* Two or more monitor outputs simultaneously active is not yet supported.
* Frame rate ramping is not supported in this release.
* TimeLapse is not supported in this release.
* Audio is not supported in this release.
* Dual LInk HD-SDI outputs always replicate PREVIEW HD-SDI signal.
* Not all frame guides selectable in each record resolution are enabled.
* Scaling of waveform meters is not optimized (preliminary implementation)
* Possibility of n/a being reported as P.I.N number on boot up.
* On cameras 1 - 50 the stenciling for the four DIN connectors that provide dual link HD-SDI, Preview HD-SDI and Genlock outputs is incorrect. These should be dual link HD-SDI at the top left / top right, Preview HD-SDI at the lower left and Genlock at the lower right.
* 4K (16:9 aspect ratio) recording is enabled in this build, however RED ALERT playback software is yet available for 4K (16:9) Therefore treat with due caution, this recording mode is not recommended for commercial jobs. 4K QuickTime reference movies are created by the camera, these permit in-field review of the clips until such time as an updated RED ALERT is available.
Copyright (c) 2007 RED Digital Cinema, All Rights Reserved.
Build 8 –
Support f/ RED EVF
Tri-Level Sync Genlock
ASA based Exposure Control
Improved AWB Calculation
Additional Shutter Speeds (1/25, 1/30, 1/400, 1/800, 1/1200
2K @ 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97 and 30fps
Variable Frame Rate Recording (1-25 fps @ 4K, 4K 2:1 / 1-75 fps @ 2K)
Improved Accuracy of TC in jam Sync mode
On camera QuickTime movie creation f/ 4K, 4K 2:1 and 2K
Selection of Edge Code or Time Code as primary time display
Waveform based exposure display
Histogram based exposure displays
Waveform based focus assist
Additional Frame Guides
Reporting of Build, Version and PIN @ conclusion of boot up
ETA NEXT FIRMWARE BUILD
We’re pretty excited about Build 9, more features, no codec errors and rock solid. Stay tuned, it’s right around the corner! Can you say playback in camera?
STATUS OF POST PRODUCTION SOFTWARE
REDCINE (OS compatibility and version)
REDCINE is close. It will be available on both Windows XP and Mac OSX
platforms by the end of November. Expect some bugs, but it will be stable
enough to get you going.
RED ALERT (OS compatibility and version)
Current Version 1.3.0
Likely will always be a Mac OS solution, at least for the foreseeable future.
CURRENT OPERATIONS MANUAL
Operations Guide 1.3.5 for Build 8, released October 18th, 2007