Thread: New to Vegas.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 New to Vegas. 
    I'm currently a DP with a production that is using the RedOne for the first time. As it turns out, they are using PC and Sony Vegas.

We are on a tight turn around schedule as far as getting the footage to edit, and I was curious what the best/fastest way to get my footage to the timeline.

I have thus far figured that Vegas can take R3d files into the timeline, but since this is my first time with it I have a couple of questions.

1) What does one see in Vegas when you import R3D? Do you see the RAW look or the settings you used in camera, or neither (like proxies 'look')?

2) How can I use RedCine-X to get a first pass, and still get this look to the one that is imported to Vegas. My past editors used to reference my redcineX work for FCP without me rendering and I have no idea how they did that. I'm hoping this can be done with Vegas.

I'm a very knowledgable cinematographer who lacks post-experience. I usually have red-capable post team to help me, but these guys are newbies to RED, and I'm afraid Sony Vegas was never my cup of tea. I was taught on AVID, and once a year use FCP to make a demo reel. That's about it.

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry if I come across as an idiot! :)

1) WYSIWYG .. i think you can set up 2 options under red properties in Vegas .. think they are 1 or 2 and you can do RGB CC etc ... you can apply a setting to one clip then paste to other serveral clips ..last i knew you have to undo one at a time .. in general when i use V i give a quick CC using Red properties .. then fine tune when edit is locked using Vegas CC plug in's ..
    my final is usually blu ray ..

2) if you CC in Redcine X 1st then you would have to render out of Redcine X ..

or when finsihed editing , you can render out of vegas log type clips ( very low contrast) ..and then take into 3rd party CC

or use Miltos Pilalitos workflow

1) Edit in Vegas
    2) Export EDL
    3) Import EDL to REDCINE-X
    4) Grade in REDCINE-X (much easier and more precise than using Vegas for CC)

see http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38872&page=2

i have not tried Miltos workflow ..

What do you mean by "you have 2 options under red properties in Vegas"? Where is that? I don't see any Red specifics in the clip properties.

For finishing in Vegas Pro 11 I would export to tiff or png or exr or cinemaDNG or soemthing like that. Export as an uncompressed image sequence then re-sync the audio in After Effects. When rendering to an mp4 using h.264 it looks soooo much better being rendered from After Effects than Vegas. I'm a big Vegas guy and now have a Scarlet and am loving the workflow thus far. Very simple to edit in 720, then bump it up to 4K for the final output. Only weird thing I've noticed is that if you create text in your 720 file and up-res it to 4K, the text will get blurry on ya. So create all text in the full 4K setting. Other than that, I think it's pretty smooth.

You can simply use AAF to export your timeline to to After Effects, no need for rendering. Or EDL with the Vegas Importer plugin in AE. Also, Vegas 11 has two H.264 encoders, one of them in Vegas 11 is exactly the same as the one in Adobe CS5.5 - MainConcept. Perhaps you are using Sony AVC - you should try the MainConcept option. Vegas 11 even supports a new version of MainConcept which has slightly better effeciency and GPU acceleration which makes it quite a bit faster. Of course, X264 trumps every other H.264 encoder, including MainConcept, by huge margins. You can get X264 out of Vegas thru X264VFW or using Debugmode Frameserver to frameserve to an X264 GUI like MeGUI.

You can leave your timeline at 4K but drop your preview resolution to Quarter - it effectively does the same thing.

@Subhadip Sen.... Curious how you determined X264 is the best H.264 encoder. Do you have some comparisons that prove this statement?

Quote Originally Posted by Subhadip Sen View Post
    You can simply use AAF to export your timeline to to After Effects, no need for rendering. Or EDL with the Vegas Importer plugin in AE. Also, Vegas 11 has two H.264 encoders, one of them in Vegas 11 is exactly the same as the one in Adobe CS5.5 - MainConcept. Perhaps you are using Sony AVC - you should try the MainConcept option. Vegas 11 even supports a new version of MainConcept which has slightly better effeciency and GPU acceleration which makes it quite a bit faster. Of course, X264 trumps every other H.264 encoder, including MainConcept, by huge margins. You can get X264 out of Vegas thru X264VFW or using Debugmode Frameserver to frameserve to an X264 GUI like MeGUI.

You can leave your timeline at 4K but drop your preview resolution to Quarter - it effectively does the same thing.