Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Fanboys and Hecklers...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #1 Fanboys and Hecklers... 
    Our project is pretty controversial. Scam or revolution? In the last year, almost to the day, we announced what most deemed impossible. What did we know about sensors. How could we build a sensor that out-spec'd any other company in the industry? How could we build a camera in just over a year that had more features and a smaller price tag than anything else on the market? "Who ARE these guys?"

Then we took reservations with a "money back for any reason guarantee" and opened up our development process and actually communicated with our potential customers. Why would we do such a thing? This is all so new.

As time went on, we met milestones. Footage was posted. David Stump was impressed. And the industry now seems focused to see if we can make the finishline.

The result is a wide range of interest. Fanboys or REDheads (I fall in that group), vocal supporters, the genuinely intrigued and interested, sincere and respectful skeptics, disrespectful and adversarial critics, and hecklers.

While I do admit that the latter two categories actually help our cause (more attention to the accident) I struggle with thanking them for their help. While I am certainly motivated by someone telling me what "can't be done", I also strongly believe that someone who posts on a board should write ONLY what they are brave enough to say in person.

I expect that we will see hecklers infiltrate here as we get closer to the end. Maybe they work for a competitive company that is negatively affected by our program. Maybe they are just very insecure and find relief in making someone else's life frustrating. Whatever the motives, I want to discourage hecklers and disrespectful posts on this board. This is our home. The RED community. It is a place where information is shared, and celebration of community successes and growth is embraced. If your goal is to be disruptive... take it somewhere else.

Jim

Banned
    And like the web address reads, reduser.net and not redsceptics or redbashers.com. It's that simple, I don't understand why folks fail to get it.

Some people are scared of change, it's also in some peoples nature to be cynical and suspicious. I would also imagine vested interests are at play but it doesn't mean they are going to spoil the party - and if RED One works as advertised then it's going to be a hell of a party!

Happy New Year to all the RED team.

The thing that blows my mind is when people argue against needing higher image quality.

Does not compute.

There'll always be hecklers and hide-behind-the-safety-of-my-keyboard troublemakers because all they want is attention. I would bet that most of the irrational chaff that gets posted by people claiming RED is a scam is motivated simply by the desire to see people waste their time explaining how stupid they are. We should just stop humoring them. If somebody wants to bring forward a valid critizism then that's ducky since that's why these forums exist. But blatant war-mongering is something the Internet is know for and we should know better by now. Jim, just delete the dumb stuff.

The silence @ cinematography.com lately makes it boring for people to post there -;)

What I don't get is that most critics seem to assume that we don't know that we put down a DEPOSIT on what might be one of the funniest cameras ever and that we're having great fun watching the development. They seem to assume that we have "bought a non-existing camera".

I cannot really see I have done so, even though I hope to get an existing camera in six months time.

The insult is that some try to warn us all against our own very concious, fun and and risky business decission.

Who ever gained anything without entering some of those?

Happy new year and best wishes to all!

Gunleik
    Life is good. So is RED...

http://quine.no

The skeptics can be good to keep us grounded, but when they haven't done their homework, it's just rude.

So far they have met their claims. The have a camera (bench model) that produces images, and it has more range than anything on the market today. So while what they are trying to accomplish is astonishing, it takes innovators like the Red team to advance the industry. Unfortulately, the openness of the development process has invited the hecklers.
    The trick is to know what button to push when.

8. #8 Enough already 
    There is a difference between raising issues that challenge the developers and the community on specifics, and just stirring the pot. If you want to wade in here guns blazing making cogent points I say bring it on. By helping the larger professional community understand the myriad advantages of the RedOne and the RedCine/RedCode enabled workflow it will help all of us get gigs with the rig. Anytime you stand up and say "this is a better way" you need to explain why to folks in the biz. I firmly believe that once people with reasonably open minds have the "aha" moment we've got 'em!

I join the RedLeader in asking those that have nothing better to do than heckle just to purge their own bile to desist. I would even ask Jarred to police posts that simply recycle the same old cliches about how the RedOne is a fraud. We're wasting bandwidth by swearing our allegiance to Red every time some idiot wanders in off the street. I am sure the Red Team appreciates our support, they are human after all, but its getting boring and redundant.

Banned
    Quite frankly, I count myself lucky to be in this company, I don't care what the hecklers, smart alecs and their likes think. Look at it this way, we will someday be regarded as the "naive" bunch that changed the face of 21st Century filmmaking.

Throughout man's history, there's always been mavericks and an equal numbers of naysayers. The good news is, the mavericks always prevailed.

Quote Originally Posted by gunleik View Post
    The silence @ cinematography.com lately makes it boring for people to post there -;)
    Hi Gunleik,

The owner of the site banned discussions until Red was available for anyone to test. I was unaware of the Red forum @DVX user until recently, thats why I am here.

I fall into Jim's "genuinely intrigued and interested" and also "sincere critic" categories I am very pleased to have been accepted by the people here.

Happy new year

Stephen
    Epic Dragon owner, the first upgraded camera in Switzerland :D