Not much posted about using Vegas, but now that redcine is out, maybe we could get a workflow going. Not having used Vegas before but considering it now, what would be th best workflow to get a 1080p final master for festivals etc...
1) Shoot 4K RAW.
2) Load footy into computer.
3) Process in Redcine, and output either,
a) qt proxies (reference r3d files) possible?.
b) or scale to 720/1080 best format to edit and monitor 720/1080p in Vegas realtime, which one ?
5) generate edl
6) import edl and generate a pull list
high end finish
a) go directly into Luki's cg/conform/data management (work directly)
b) take dpx's into high end suite for color grade, mix, and output deliverable for film out or high end master format...HD/SD Video - Rec. 709 color space, gamma 2.2, 10 bit 4:4:4 or 8 bit 4:2:2 , D-Cinema (DCI) - XYZ color space, gamma 2.6, 12 bit linear color resolution , Film - Kodak LUTs, gamma 2.6, Kodak Vision color print film, Fujicolor positive print 3513/3516 7
7) manual conform from pull list
8) use pull list to take clips, scale to 1080p,
(possible to take into other indie program to conform, which ?)
9) Go into color grading program for final cg (using either pull list manual conform or conform from other program).
10) output deliverables
11) take to post house for full output
HD/SD Video - HDCAM SR, D5, HDCAM, Digibeta, DCI approved data files (TIFF, DPX, JPEG 2000), dubs: , DVD, HD DVD, Blue-ray, for festival and screeners for sales agents etc...
The only questions I have are :
1. What format to output from redcine to edit the best quality and real 24fps 1080p/720p in Vegas ?
2. Is the color grading in Vegas good enough so that you don't have to go to another program to color grade it with ? And which would you choose for festival and distribution ?
3. What kind of computing power will you need with 1080p 24fps (depending on format best to edit in vegas with). Is it possible to build a cheap computer just for that and processing raw to diff. formats.
I keep hearing that Vegas, despite a good computer, doesn't display, edit or monitor real time 1080p 24fps. Is that true ? Anyway to edit and monitor real time ?
2. How do you monitor 1080p out of Vegas, especially to a projector for dailies ?
3. Has anyone tried editing a project yet shot on red in Vegas ? What was your project settings, finishing apps, advice ?
forgive the ignorance about vegas please and feel free to tell me what it can do and can't, currently. i have no idea what is possible with it, but since no one else was mentioning it ;)