Thread: Nikon vs Canon - Birger Lens Mount

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by billymc View Post
    Thanks guys.

Why get both mounts? Is it for back up or is there something the Red Nikon mount can do that the Birger Lens Mount can't do?
    Sorry, I meant both Nikon and Canon Birgers.

I own quite a bit of Nikon glass, AFS and MF so that's one reason, but there may be some client's that own EOS and that option is profitable too.

Personally I prefer Nikon glass, it's just my preference.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    http://www.YouTube.com/evingrant
    360 Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    I'm confused.... You think being on a Birger mount - which we have not seen nor touched yet - is going to have a reversing method for focus for Nikon? Why? Did Eric say that somewhere?
    I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned but even if not the Birger is an electronic control. Reversing directions should be very easy and I'd be totally stunned if he didn't do it.

Even though I've got Nikon lenses I'm getting the Canon Birger because odds are it will work better, sooner and my camera is coming sooner. Plus some Canon's have image stabilization that may translate better to RED than Nikon's based on some things I've read. That's a wildcard though...

Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    But the Birger Mount relies on an ELECTRONIC interface, so I think it may be a trivial difference to drive the internal gearing with the electronics one way or the other by merely reversing the polarity with which the internal lens motor drives the gearing.

I understand how it could work now, thanks Bill.
    Steve Murray
    www.stevemurray.com

Epic-X -- LuLu /// RED Dragon -- Rosebud
    Canon EF: 7mm Fisheye to 500mm

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    I understand how it could work now, thanks Bill.
    Sure thing.
    Epic-X #1984

I remember a post by Erik from Birger stating that the Nikon mount will offer better iris control because their Nikon mechanics will have more steps. Here it is:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...9417#post89417

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Zinner View Post
    I remember a post by Erik from Birger stating that the Nikon mount will offer better iris control because their Nikon mechanics will have more steps. Here it is:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...9417#post89417
    Nice retrospect;I'd forgotten about that one. Here's part of what Eric said:
    Canon lens irises are limited to 1/4 stop per step... mathematically it is really 1/3 stop per step, but there a four steps per stop - wrap your brain around that! Nikon lenses are only limited by the resolution of our mechanism, which will probably be better than that in the Canon lenses.

Some of the really inexpensive Nikon lenses have a direct encoder on the focus mechanism (after the gear train) so these may offer better performance than the equally inexpensive Canon lenses. But I think this last distinction is meaningless, as one is not going to spend $17K on a camera and $1K on a lens mount to use a $99 lens

Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by jaadgy akanni View Post
    Some of the really inexpensive Nikon lenses have a direct encoder on the focus mechanism (after the gear train) so these may offer better performance than the equally inexpensive Canon lenses. But I think this last distinction is meaningless, as one is not going to spend $17K on a camera and $1K on a lens mount to use a $99 lens
    Actually the $99 Nikon 50mm 1.8 rates as a very sharp lens from the reviews I've read. This does mean rolling the iris during a shot should be smoother with the Nikons.

I'm A LOT more worried about smooth accurate focus. And odds are you could smooth out the Canon 1/3 iris increments in post if they are noticable.

Banned
    After fumbling around with an old AI-S nikon lens all day trying to get accurate focus, I am now shure, that I will go for the birger canon mount and a supergrip. Maybe you can get away with using nikon primes on a tripod with ff and gearings but for anything handheld things are gonna fall apart. Critical focus is at the heart of 4K, and the focus throw of the AI-S lenses is way too short at the long end. The 35mm f/2 has about 2cm clockwise to play with from 1m-infinity! Also it is a bit sloppy when you are racking back and forth.
    Secondly I believe that the canon mount will (unofficially) support foccusing with sigma primes and tokina zooms (for canon) which open up some nice bang for the buck options. (please correct me if Im wrong on this) A set of atx pro zooms from tokina would do the trick for me for now (apart from a little CA they have an outstanding performance and a nice build based on angenieux patents) leaving plenty of cash for some more exotic lens choices along the way.
    all the best Eddie

9. #19 IS/VR works for Video..? 
    Quote Originally Posted by joelnet View Post
    Plus some Canon's have image stabilization that may translate better to RED than Nikon's based on some things I've read.
    How far this IS/VR works for motion pictures, They may be best for Still photography, Has any one tested them for HD or RED?

If IS/VR has no value, we can save good money without any loss in quality optics.

And remember no matter what lens you are using to always go wide open and stop down to your chosen stop. But you guys know that. lol

CHUCK