Thread: Nikon vs Canon - Birger Lens Mount

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Nikon vs Canon - Birger Lens Mount 
    I own neither Nikon nor Canon lenses so Iím not compelled by previous investment or brand loyalty to opt for either. I had a slight bias toward Nikon which was the obvious choice before the Birger Lens Mount became a possible alternative, but now Canon seems to be a no-brainer.

The offer of a free remote control is focusing my mind on a decision.

The time lag between the release of the Canon and Nikon favours Canon as does the fact that Birger has experience with Canon.

The overwhelming factor in Canonís favour is that Canon EF & EF-S mount will offer a much greater choice of lenses with electronic iris & focus control?

Nikon offers a full range of primes with manual focus but the AF-S range offers no prime lenses under 105mm, which limits that system to the use of zooms and teles.

Is there a case for Nikon?

2. #2 Nikon's a no-brainer for me 
    Nikon's AF-S zooms are great lenses, which I'll use as variable primes as well. I have on order, the new AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8 and AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 full-frame lenses. I've already read some excellent reviews on the 24-70mm. Together with my AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 these'll make a formidable team. I'll also get the (dumb) Nikon mount by RED for use with my manual Nikon primes. I'm partial to Nikon 'cause I prefer its aesthetics to that from canon glass. Canon glass is great too, but not to my liking. To each his own.

If you decide to go and use manual controls on the lens or Birger mount brakes( i know it will not:); you may find your self in a very bad situation.
    I've struggled a great deal with canon and 35mm adapter, for every time a wanted to change the aperture I had to remove it from my camera and put it on DSLR change the f stop then go back on the camera....

This is simply why I am going with Nikons; more options

Cheers

Jaadgy, you can use your manual Nikon lenses on the Birger as well. It's the same mount. I'll probably buy both mounts.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360ļ Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

Thanks guys.

Why get both mounts? Is it for back up or is there something the Red Nikon mount can do that the Birger Lens Mount can't do?

6. #6 More adapters 
    There are many more adapters to let other lenses be mounted on EOS than on Nikon.

Adapters to EOS include Hasselblad, Leica, Nikon F, Contax just to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by billymc View Post
    Thanks guys.

Why get both mounts? Is it for back up or is there something the Red Nikon mount can do that the Birger Lens Mount can't do?
    Sorry, I meant both Nikon and Canon Birgers.

I own quite a bit of Nikon glass, AFS and MF so that's one reason, but there may be some client's that own EOS and that option is profitable too.

Personally I prefer Nikon glass, it's just my preference.
    "All art is deception."

My DP reel...
    http://www.evingrantdp.com
    360ļ Cinematography and camera rigs...
    http://www.360dop.com

8. #8 Go Canon 
    Quote Originally Posted by billymc View Post
    I own neither Nikon nor Canon lenses so Iím not compelled by previous investment or brand loyalty to opt for either. I had a slight bias toward Nikon which was the obvious choice before the Birger Lens Mount became a possible alternative, but now Canon seems to be a no-brainer.

Is there a case for Nikon?
    Having shot Nikon for 30 years and now shooting Canon for the last two I would go with the Birger Canon mount. There is no reason to go Nikon if you do not already own the lenses, none. Also the Nikon focus direction is backwards - a big deal for AC's who are used to the other direction.

With your RED # you will be shooting with Canon right away or you can wait for who knows how long waiting on a Nikon mount....

Both make very good lenses. But if you are used to Cine lens quality and consistency you will find that still lenses are not made as well and some are very sharp, some are not. Test your new purchases - either brand.

Nikon vs. Canon - who cares.... The image is all that matters in the end. The sooner you can start shooting the better. Go Canon. IMHO
    Steve Murray
    www.stevemurray.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo View Post
    There is no reason to go Nikon if you do not already own the lenses, none. Also the Nikon focus direction is backwards - a big deal for AC's who are used to the other direction.
    Nikon vs. Canon - who cares.... The image is all that matters in the end. The sooner you can start shooting the better. Go Canon. IMHO
    However, know that with the Birger mount, focus direction doesn't matter 'cause it should work just like on a DSLR. Also, decent Follow Focuses(or is it "foci"?) are reversible.

Canon vs Nikon, who cares? I care because I've shot with both and have always preferred the Nikon look. Someone else may have the opposite opinion on this, so it's a matter of taste.
    BTW, according to Jim, the RED Nikon mount should be released in January.

10. #10 Birger 
    Quote Originally Posted by jaadgy akanni View Post
    However, know that with the Birger mount, focus direction doesn't matter 'cause it should work just like on a DSLR.
    I'm confused.... You think being on a Birger mount - which we have not seen nor touched yet - is going to have a reversing method for focus for Nikon? Why? Did Eric say that somewhere? I looked at his posts but could not find anything about that, did I miss it? The Birger is not auto focus and the Nikon lenses all focus the other direction so how does this apply? If it works just like on a DSLR then it will be focusing backwards, yes? Am I missing something? Direction does matter to an AC who is used to going the other way.

Also, decent Follow Focuses(or is it "foci"?) are reversible.
    I think it's a lot to assume that everyone has an expensive FF that will reverse direction, I do not and I think many RED folks will not have the budget for one of those.

Canon vs Nikon, who cares?[/B] I care because I've shot with both and have always preferred the Nikon look.
    Seems to me that because the RED is digital and the images require post processing / color grading there is no way anyone will be able to tell what brand lens was used for any shot based on a "look". No way. The shots will either be sharp or not and that is about all that matters since all RED images will be DI (Digital Immediate) and once color graded only the final images will matter.

You can prefer & use whatever brand you want but that is not a reason to advise someone who is asking for advice on the best way to go with the Birger mount. Eric is about 5 months behind what he originally said he planned to do. I'm sure he is going the best he can but as we know all too well "things change" in the world of RED. The Birger Canon mount will be available much sooner. It is not about Canon / Nikon -- it's about being able to shoot images sooner -- time is money.

BTW, according to Jim, the RED Nikon mount should be released in January.
    That will be great for all the Nikon folks.... but since things change a lot as RED is being developed I would not count on the RED Nikon mount until they are actually shipping -- just as Jim has always advised about this process.
    Steve Murray
    www.stevemurray.com