Thread: Nikon vs Canon - Birger Lens Mount

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I've ordered the Nikon mount, BUT.

It bothers me that most of Nikon's best primes will not have focius control on the Birger mount. Like the 85mm F1.4 AF-D and the 105mm F2 DC AF. If Birger could make this work, the mount would be about twice as useful. (I like to work with primes.)

I guess the Birger mount works the same as the Nikon D40(x) DSLR, which can autofocus only on AF-S lenses. (No AF motor in the camera body.)

Sigma have their Nikon mount AF-S equivalent lenses, with the HSM designation (Hyper Sonic Motor). These will autofocus on the D40(x), so I guess there's a good chance they will work with the Birger also? This would open up a few possibilities, although I would much prefer to use Nikon.

The Sigma 30mm F1.4 HSM seems like a good buy for a low light normal lens, when you need focus control. Sigma 14mm F2.8 has HSM, while Nikon 14mm does not have AF-S. Also I own the 150mm macro with HSM, which is very nice.
    Nils J. Nesse

Epic-W Helium 8K in Bergen, Norway

Quote Originally Posted by chuck colburn View Post
    And remember no matter what lens you are using to always go wide open and stop down to your chosen stop. But you guys know that. lol
    Actually I do not know thanks for the tip, but want to know why one should wide open, as it already the functionality of Auto lens?

Well most if not all lenses have some slop in the iris and/or control ring. This is not such a concern with still images but to be spot on (or at least as accuretly as the aperture scale is calibrated) you should open the iris up all the way and then stop down to your given stop. This takes the lash/slop out of the mechanisim. This is standard operating procedure in the motion picture world. It could be these still camera lenses with electrically controlled apertures don't have this problem. I don't know.

CHUCK

Like everyone else here I've been trying to make my decision so I can place my order by tomorrow with Birger so I can get the free goodies.:sorcerer:

It is too bad Nikon doesn't have hardly any AF-S primes (and nothing at all in the normal range you'd like to have 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm.) But we already have two AF-S Nikon f2.8 zooms and a Sigma super wide zoom. I'd love to have more prime lens options but there's no way I can justify spending the extra for Canon. There are the Sigma prime options but I'm not sure about Sigma quality.

The only think about Canon is putting together a prime EF L-series set is pretty expensive. It almost makes you go for two Canon L series zooms. Canon does have many other good options that still use the ultrasonic motors with non-L primes, so you could go that route. If I was starting from scratch I would probably go Canon, but it certainly wouldn't be very cheap. If you stayed away from the L-line you could put a nice prime set all USM for probably about $1500.

Here's a good question: What's better an L-series zoom or a non-L series prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post
    Like everyone else here I've been trying to make my decision so I can place my order by tomorrow with Birger so I can get the free goodies.:sorcerer:

It is too bad Nikon doesn't have hardly any AF-S primes (and nothing at all in the normal range you'd like to have 20mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm.) But we already have two AF-S Nikon f2.8 zooms and a Sigma super wide zoom. I'd love to have more prime lens options but there's no way I can justify spending the extra for Canon. There are the Sigma prime options but I'm not sure about Sigma quality.

The only think about Canon is putting together a prime EF L-series set is pretty expensive. It almost makes you go for two Canon L series zooms. Canon does have many other good options that still use the ultrasonic motors with non-L primes, so you could go that route. If I was starting from scratch I would probably go Canon, but it certainly wouldn't be very cheap. If you stayed away from the L-line you could put a nice prime set all USM for probably about $1500.

Nathan you really want the L series.:matrix:

6. #26 Primes, zooms, and dust on the sensor. 
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Troutman View Post

I was at Arri here in Ft. Lauderdale and we were talking about the RED, D20, etc. and there engineer brought up that he thought one of the biggest adjustments in thinking that is going to happen is how critical an issue dust on the sensor is. It seems that using the zooms as variable primes may help with this aspect of digital shooting.
    Save the Sharks
    Epic-W Helium 8K (For Rent) Original Manufacturer of Redone & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. Aero3Dô mirror/beamsplitter rig. 954.937.6600 www.Aquavideo.com ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by albert rudnicki View Post
    Nathan you really want the L series.:matrix:
    The always controversial Ken Rockwell has an article on L-series lenses worth considering.
    Nils J. Nesse

Epic-W Helium 8K in Bergen, Norway

AquaVid,

Dust on the sensor isn't much of a concern to those of use that have spent time with film cameras. We check the gate every time we get a good shot in the can. It wasn't much different with HD where I would hit the "return" switch after each good take to make sure there was no error.
    _mike

"One for a meal, One for the reel, or One to learn something"

What about the feathering of the actual focus pull on this mount? Is it jerky like the auto focus? Can it be fast? Can it be slow? Can you do what you do with a speed crank? Great idea I'm just concerned how it will perform in a professional enviroment.

Hollywood, I'm thinking the same thing. My thinking is that it more than likely will not work so well for pulls. The USM motors in Canon lenses are VERY different from servos used in most cine style systems. I don't think they will have the resolution nor the fluidity necessary for pretty pulls. I of course could be proven very wrong.
    _mike

"One for a meal, One for the reel, or One to learn something"