Thread: DEEP ATOM down under

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast
    Having at last seen the finished unit of the GATES DEEP ATOM, I must say that it did made me fill sorry not to be allowed to Dive, but give me some time, and not all bets might be off... JUST YET... ;)

With John at NAB...

KETCH ROSSi F i l m m a k e r
    RED EPIC #00008 aka DragonM8

"Sponsors" listed for full disclosure
    Maxx Digital | Schneider Kreuznach & Optics | BB&S | Miller | Blueshape | Inovativ | Trost | Bright Tangerine | Kessler | Village Blackout | Actionproducts

Well guys....

finnally got around to writing the article on the flat port test wide lens test....that was mentioned in the first few pages of this thread.

click here

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...-Ruby-amp-RED1

or go straight to the article on my blog here....

http://steadi3d.com/2012/05/flat-vs-...-applications/

Enjoy!

This is very relevant as since I will be getting training at Gates for the DeepAtom pretty soon and will also be testing another underwater beamsplitter housing/rig in the near future.

enjoy have fun and let the comments flow...... (maybe we should discuss my test on my thread so as not to hijack this one?)
    ---------------------------------
    Pedro Guimaraes, SOC
    IATSE Local 600 - Operator

Steadicam / Stereographer
    C-Motion Cvolution Package 3D-8 motor system for rent.
    Handsfree Segway for rent
    www.pgfilms.tv
    www.steadi3d.com

Pedro, thanks very much for your work and making it available.

Ill post back here with our results using a side by side twin dome rig as soon as test are complete which may or may not result in a usable system. Unfortunately we are not using Epic for this application as 100mm or more IA is not usable for our needs underwater in a side by side configuration. Currently we are able to work down to 42mm IA with 2/3 camera heads.

Id also add Im extremely impressed by Gates Deep Atom rig. One day Id hope to own one.

One again I empasize....my tests are primarily geared towards Feature film applications.....like the ones you would be using a "Deep Atom" for.

I'm sure you will have good results on your "Double bubble" housing

I'm not debating the physics involved just presenting results and letting people choose what they want to do. After all as you point out we don't have a choice with a beamsplitter.

I will be working with a Pablo artist to "correct" one of the distorted 14mm or 16mm charts ....just to show an example of what you would do with a distored flat port shot on a big budget feature.

Once again, lets move the discussion of my test to my thread. Keep this thread focus on the original topic.
    ---------------------------------
    Pedro Guimaraes, SOC
    IATSE Local 600 - Operator

Steadicam / Stereographer
    C-Motion Cvolution Package 3D-8 motor system for rent.
    Handsfree Segway for rent
    www.pgfilms.tv
    www.steadi3d.com

Banned
    Pedro, again my congratulations on the test. I found it very well written and informative.

I am pleased to report that I am halfway through my DeeP Atom training and orientation course at the Gates facility not far from San Diego. The course has been organized by Bob Cranston a legend in underwater 3D film making who is representing the amazing team at Gates Underwater Products. I will have the pleasure of configuring my own Deep Atom system precisely the way I require it for my own productions at the Gates factory which will ship my housing and follow me back to Australia at the same time I leave the USA. Bob Cranston is a master of this technology and has been extremely detailed and thorough in passing on the knowledge of this extraordinary underwater 3D system. I congratulate John Ellerbrock and his wonderful team at Gates and I am excited to return Down under to begin my own 3D journey into this brave new world. Robert Settlemire and Willem Lundy also contributed to the success of this course sharing their wealth of experience in the stereo world. Thanks John Ellerbrock for making this dream come true :-)
    Last edited by Ross Isaacs; 05-12-2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Director/Producer
    Ocean Planet 3D
    http://www.oceanplanet3d.com
    Ocean Planet Images
    http://www.cyberdiver.com.au
    Pathfinder rebreather diver armed with Deep Atom

RED ONE in GATES DEEP RED underwater housing
    EPIC X in GATES DEEP ATOM underwater housing

After a 2 year journey with everyone at Gates Underwater Products and associated companies, I am finally finished my Deep Atom training. My Deep Atom unit will ship this week to meet me back in Australia. Here are some images of the training session in Southern California with Bob Cranston master underwater cinematographer teaching the course. Group photo shows left to right John Ellerbrock, Robert Settlemire, Bob Cranston, Willem Lundy and me thoroughly pleased with ourselves at the end of pool training.
    Attached Images
    Director/Producer
    Ocean Planet 3D
    Ocean Planet Images

Congrats Ross....Bob is the Maestro! Best to you shooting out your way....by the way, trim looks excellent...is it as good as it looks from the pics?
    Well done Gates!
    John Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

EPIC M & 2X for 3d & Deep Epic Underwater Housing
    RED MX with SSD & Underwater Housing

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Friday View Post
    Congrats Ross....Bob is the Maestro! Best to you shooting out your way....by the way, trim looks excellent...is it as good as it looks from the pics?
    Well done Gates!
    Thanks Johnny
    yes Bob is amazing and the trim is perfect. Infinite ways to distribute weight around the housing with the new spin on brass weights. It is perfect balance underwater for such a big rig.
    Director/Producer
    Ocean Planet 3D
    Ocean Planet Images

Banned
    congratulations, Ross.

How difficult it is to control/prevent internal reflections off the mirror?
    What's the total weight of the rig?
    Can you show how to control convergence and other alignment features?
    I presume that it is the first or only in the world, not just Australia? Am I correct?

I'm sure I will have more questions. Look forward to a thorough review and some images.