Thread: Red 1/2?...i.e. Red Jr.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red 1/2?...i.e. Red Jr. 
    Way back I read something about a "jr." version of Red being on the drawing board. Is there any new info about it?

Is it something like a compact 1080p cam in the $3500 price range?

Thanks for any info.

-fly

Quote Originally Posted by flydef View Post
    Way back I read something about a "jr." version of Red being on the drawing board. Is there any new info about it?

Is it something like a compact 1080p cam in the $3500 price range?

Thanks for any info.

-fly
    you are talking about the red mini, but i think red is working on the red one for the next couple of months. no features published.
    red is not a color, it's a camera.

I think it's safe to say that it will be over $3,500, as it's a professional camera, and not "prosumer" There probably won't be much news for a while longer.

At NAB back in April, RED spokesman Ted Schilowitz went on record that RED was working on a RED professional pocket camera. He emphasized the key words were "professional" and "pocket." All other questions were meet with, "Wait for further developments." So far as I know, they are still saying that.
    If you want to speculate further (and who here doesn't), it may help to consider what the keywords above mean; "Professional" may mean that the output of this new camera will be of high enough quality to intercut well with the output of RED ONE. After all, the encore to RED ONE wouldn't satisfy very many if it didn't.
    "Pocket" probably means that this new baby won't have interchangeable lenses or a Super35-sized sensor. Think of a mini Mysterium - still having up to 12 meagapixels, but in the 1/2" to 2/3" size range.
    So, I'm thinking of a black-clad alumininum case (Ted said it wouldn't be plastic) with a fixed zoom lens and still using CF media and the whole thing fits in your pocket. Well ok, coat pocket.
    Of course, this is all speculation on my part.

Bob E.

First time it should be presented on next NAB, and here are tons of threads on this theme, just full of speculations, wishes and recomendations so far. No more news from Jim and staff yet.

6. #6 Thanks for the info 
    Thanks for all the responses and info!

Guess I will just have to wait for the next NAB.

any chance it might be a still camera?

Brandon that's a question you should ask Jarnnard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NEXTLEVEL View Post
    Brandon that's a question you should ask Jarnnard.
    I have been silently soaking up the wealth of intriguing information to be found in REDUSER Land for more time each day than is good for me, and this is the thread that has inspired my first transmission.

In the storytelling world I live in, smaller bodies are better and I have been waiting a long, long time for the highest quality high definition images to come from the tightest, most efficient mountable camera package.

Might the new day be dawning with the development of a RED MINI?

I am very interested, so I will dare ask the question.

Mr. Jannard, are you willing to answer any of these queries as to the potential production of a smaller version of the RED ONE? What might it's possible features be? What might it's projected timeline be?

p.s. Thank you all for your vision!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    any chance it might be a still camera?
    I wouldn't know, but I really doubt it. The still market is all done and well for the most part. There is plenty of innovation to be had with cinema, and making a more accessible, smaller cinema camera would be another very useful tool for production.