I am interested in knowing what everyone thinks are the best 2K Zoom lenses. I know this will depend on experience, preferences, usage, application, etc. But I am hoping to pool that information from different points of view -- and gather that info in one thread.
I have been learning from this link a lot: http://cinematechnic.com/resources/o..._super-16.html
But there are some unanswered questions for me still about Super 16 Lenses and zooms in particular -- so here they are:
- Many of these zooms seem EXTREMELY wide -- 6.6mm, 10.8mm, 8mm -- these are wider than I am used to at the 35mm level. These seem almost Fisheye to me. So I am curious, are these the same Field of View as a lens made for a full sensor (35mm)? When I see a 6.6-66mm Canon Zoom, would that be the exact equivalent to a 6.6mm Field of View on an 35mm 6.6mm Equivalent? Is a 6.6mm going to look super curved? With barrel distortion?
- Based on a Wikipedia Entry, RED's 2K is 2048x1080. Is this the standard for 2K? I am reading in other places 2K can be 2048x1152 and other variants
- This is going to be a difficult question, but I'm going to try: If I buy a Super16 Lens -- let's say the Canon 11.5-138mm -- I have read that 2K is covered by this lens through its entire zoom range with no vignetting. But what I would like to know is how many pixels does it cover if I'm shooting 3K? In other words, what is the maximum resolution that can be pulled from this lens or similar? Knowing that I will be vignetting and will have to crop out corners in post, what is the active pixel count both vertically and horizontally I could get from this lens or similar? I've read that 2.5K is sort of the sweet spot, but what is the standard for 2.5K? I have no problem shooting with vignetted corners and cropping down to 2K.
- Why do Super16 Primes typically seem to only go up to 50mm? Is it just assumed after that you will start using 35mm Glass instead with a crop factor?
- What is everyone's favorite Super 16 Zoom? What are it's strengths? What are it's weaknesses?
Thank you for anyone that gives this a shot. I am looking for lightweight options that I can't seem to get with Still Lenses and 35mm Cinema Lenses are too heavy for my needs.
- I'm looking for something with a minimum FOV of 18mm (could go wider) on the wide end and a minimum of 80mm (could go further) on the far end -- I would also like to focus closer than 3 Ft. Any suggestions?