Thread: Anyone editing RED in Vegas these days?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gyori View Post
    When you talk about it lacking tracking, you're talking about motion tracking? We own the Boris BCC7 plugin for Vegas and it has plenty of motion tracking features. I'm curious which complex tasks you feel are out of Vegas's capability, especially with a few key plugins. Certainly many tasks are outside of Premiere's built-in reach and require After Effects. I've done many compositing jobs with masks easily in Vegas.

I know a few people that feel because Vegas has an intuitive interface, it must be a simple program without sophisticated ability... I beg to differ. :)
    Thanks Michael. I haven't tried BCC7, but I will definitely give it a shot. This seems like a good time to mention the audio features as well, which are totally unparalleled for an NLE.

Are you Vegas users strictly using Vegas for your entire workflow? From SSD to finish? Or are you using redcine-x first for trimming, cc etc, then vegas? I'm trying to establish a solid workflow and am unsure on what to use and settings to export, etc., with Vegas, Redcine-X, and possibly davinci resolve. Can you guys share your workflow process?

I've only edited one Red project in Vegas so far but had no problems. No transcoding of r3d files and I could preview my edit in realtime (albeit not at full quality). The only deficiency I see in Vegas is in color grading.... it's possible in Vegas but Redcine X is better. Now that we have a Scarlet, I'll be doing a lot more full projects in Vegas with Red footage. I've experimented with outputting an EDL in Vegas and importing it in Redcine X for grading, but was only successful with very simple 1 track projects.... not sure if that's a practical workflow.

I've only edited one Red project in Vegas so far but had no problems. No transcoding of r3d files and I could preview my edit in realtime (albeit not at full quality). The only deficiency I see in Vegas is in color grading.... it's possible in Vegas but Redcine X is better. Now that we have a Scarlet, I'll be doing a lot more full projects in Vegas with Red footage. I've experimented with outputting an EDL in Vegas and importing it in Redcine X for grading, but was only successful with very simple 1 track projects.... not sure if that's a practical workflow.
    I am shooting a short film in the summer with a Scarlet, and I have been editing on Sony Vegas for 8 years now. It would be great if you could update us on your RED workflow in Vegas. :)

After editing is complete, switch to the 32-bit version and export an AAF. 64-bit has everything except that, such a blatant miss! Anyway, a lot of major finishing software will accept the AAF, which is Avid MC compatible. If not or you need XML, you can go through a software like Premiere Pro, which will accept the AAF and then export to XML or Send to Speedgrade (though the latter is not really an option for R3D).

I met with a few people from Sony Creative Software at NAB. One of their engineers assured me that it would be easy to implement RDM importing in Vegas. Currently, changes to meta data saved in Redcine X cannot be imported into Vegas. It would seem that is about to change (and Vegas will be keeping up with Premiere in this regard). I'll keep you posted.
    Last edited by Michael Gyori; 04-25-2012 at 06:34 PM.

I met with a few people from Sony Creative Software at NAB. One of their engineers assured me that it would be easy to implement RDM importing in Vegas. Currently, changes to meta data saved in Redcine X cannot be imported into Vegas. It would seem that is about to change (and Vegas will be keeping up with Premiere in this regard). I'll keep you posted.
    I tested this back in February. Imported a RD3 into Vegas, save project. Closed Vegas. Opened the same clip in Red-Cine-X, changed ISO, curve colospace etc, save. Open the project in Vegas, the clip looks different. I don't know how it works, but changes made in RedCine-X do show up in Veags

Senior Member Marcos Montenegro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Werner Jauch View Post
    I tested this back in February. Imported a RD3 into Vegas, save project. Closed Vegas. Opened the same clip in Red-Cine-X, changed ISO, curve colospace etc, save. Open the project in Vegas, the clip looks different. I don't know how it works, but changes made in RedCine-X do show up in Veags
    Yes it does, but it doesn't look lie the image in REDCINE-X. In other words, you change in RCX and Vegas sees it, but it doesn't "translate" it as is. Probably because RCX features like alchemy, etc, are not in any other NLE. I do have to say that although I love editing in Sony Vegas, Premier CS6 is starting to resonate more with pros and I'm seriously considering jumping ship.
    MARCOS MONTENEGRO
    K ' A S U N E L S T U D I O S
    Baltimore / Guatemala / Chile
    DP, DIRECTOR, PRODUCER
    vimeo.com/kasunelstudios
    Epic-X- 6323

Anyone know what settings are best for rendering in 4k projection? This is not for internet upload. I have the opportunity to screen something on a 4k projector so I'd like to know what settings I should use. Thanks.

I would render to Cineform 422 or Cineform 444 to get the best quality for 4k playback on a PC. But you need to purchase Cineform to do that (www.cineform.com).