Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: AVID says timecode is too long??? Epic M

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 AVID says timecode is too long??? Epic M 
    Hey all, the avid editor faces an issue w dnxhd 185 10bit files I transcoded out last night from RCX-487.
    He said there was some avid error that read something like the timecode is too long.
    Has anyone heard of this? How do we fix it?
    We start shooting day 2 in under an hour and I need to get this solved ASAP of course.
    Any guidance from the red thread heads would be super appreciated.
    DIT and 2D/3D Character Animator (BFA, MA)
    London, UK (See http://brownianmotion.co.uk/ )
    Launched OnlyRental.dk in Copenhagen, Denmark.
    2011 REDucation UK - Advanced Group

Steffen,

I would try to get the exact Media Composer message, along w/ how the how editor is trying to bring the files into MC and exactly what version of MC he's using, and on what OS.

But to more generally answer your ?, no I have not heard of this issue/error before. Good luck.

P.S. Also, are you using HDRX? And I'm assuming you shot 25P since DNxHD 185 is 25P and you're in Europe.

Hi I'm the one with the problem:

when importing via media tools my master clips has no duration (00:00) and when I try to playback it say "Exception: The sequence or one of the source elements is too long to be played". The timecode jumps around like crazy when I try to look through the clip. I tried exporting a ALE from RCX and relink but it only relinks to the original R3D files which doesn't work.

We have used Redcine-X 454, to make MXF files but another weird thing is RCX doesn't export any AAF or ALE along the MXF files even though the audio was recorded into the camera.

It is shoot in 25p.

My AMC version is 5.0.3

MacPro 10.6.8

2x3.2 GHz Quad-Core intel Xeon

16 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

EDIT: just tried using RCX 487 only thing different is that I can can hear sound in RCX, still no AAF exported.

Hi Daniel,

This is hardly complete, but it does seem to indicate that Avid needs an ALE to edit Epic footage.

http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=414279

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.

Do you know if I need AMC 5.5 for epic files to work?

I don't see why you would. I think DNxHD out of RedCine-X takes care of the fact that MC can't currently read 5K .R3D's. MC has for about a year now been able to link to 4K .R3D's via AMA. One issue that I wonder about is if HDRX is somehow messing things up, since an HDRX DNxHD file would be different from one w/o HDRX.

I think you should take heart that Avid says that using RedCine-X, you can indeed work w/ Epic files. So there should be an answer for you *fingers crossed*.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/9...55.aspx#571955

P.S. If you haven't, you also might want to try using RCX w/ Red One .R3D's. If you're having the same problem, then it's not an Epic issue. But again, I hope someone w/ more experience will respond.

So far it seems like it's not only Epic R3D but also Red One files. So either it's RCX vs Avid compatible or else I'm doing something completely wrong. I'm pretty confused at the moment...

Btw it's shot without HDRX.

AVID does not natively handle EPIC files yet via AMA the way it does REDOne R3D's.

You need to transcode to .mxf in RC-X for now for Epic. Should be some announcements at IBC.

Jason
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    @jasondiamond

2 Dragon's avail and ready to fly.

Rocket-X's

Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16,19,24,28,35,50,60,80,90,100,135,180
    Avail NYC and anywhere trains, planes and automobiles go.

We are looking into 1080p25 issues with REDCINE X. REDCINE uses Avid's Media Toolkit (AMT) to export the MXF and AAF. Reports from the folks at RED seem to indicate that this issue is in the Mac version and not Windows of REDCINE. I need to verify that to be sure. Are you on Mac or Windows?

Michael
    ‎"There are a thousand ways to point a camera, but really only one."
    Ernst Lubitsch

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Diamond View Post
    AVID does not natively handle EPIC files yet via AMA the way it does REDOne R3D's.

You need to transcode to .mxf in RC-X for now for Epic. Should be some announcements at IBC.

Jason

That's exactly what I have done.