Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Red connectors for ENG lens

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Red connectors for ENG lens 
    Can you guys remind me what plugs the Red has for ENG lenses? I'm about to buy a Fujinon 13x4.5 BERM and want to make sure I get the right ones. Thanks!

Peter

Peter,

The original B4 lens connector was dropped from the Red design and instead the production cameras have a 10 pin lemo connector. You will need an adapter cable to go from this to your Fujinon.

I have the Fujinon 13x4.5 and 22x7.3 HD zooms, and a prototype RED B4 adaptor. I've shot quite a bit with them on RED #8 in the past few months - with good results. I've been shooting in full manual, non-power mode.

The RS232 bus on the right side of RED can power B4 2/3" lenses. A custom cable, not made yet by anyone, is needed in order to get full lens power and functionality.

I have communicated with Fujinon and they have supplied me with the advice and pinout for their end of the lens cable. A hirose connector is necessary to adapt the Fujinon multi-pin cable to RED. On the RED end of the cable, special LEMO connectors are necessary. Care must be used in making sure the cable maker follows the pinout diagrams for RED and Fujinon in making the cable.

I have two of these cables currently being made. When they're finished, I'll test them out with the 13x4.5 and 22x7.3 zooms. I will then be able to start/stop, record, and power zoom all on the servo zoom hand grip on the side of the lens - thus enabling true EFP functionality.
    Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    Golden Gate 3D - www.gg3d.com

Co-Producer, IMAX film CUBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijvjeZ89qY
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stevegibby/

Gibby,

Thanks so much for the thorough feedback. So when I'm ordering this lens, should I not order any cables (for power) as they will not work on the Red? It would be nice to have servo zoom, but it sounds like this might not be possible without a custom made connector. Thanks as always!

Peter

Does anyone have the Hirose part number for the lens connector?
    Anthony S. Lenzo
    www.airsealand.com

Banned
    I have two of these cables currently being made. When they're finished, I'll test them out with the 13x4.5 and 22x7.3 zooms. I will then be able to start/stop, record, and power zoom all on the servo zoom hand grip on the side of the lens - thus enabling true EFP functionality.[/QUOTE]

I ll be more than happy to know who can make this cable/adaptor,
    would you share this precious information ?

Banned
    Would you know where I could find somebody to make a cable /adapter to fit my 6x8 Canon ?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
    The RS232 bus on the right side of RED can power B4 2/3" lenses. A custom cable, not made yet by anyone, is needed in order to get full lens power and functionality.

I have communicated with Fujinon and they have supplied me with the advice and pinout for their end of the lens cable. A hirose connector is necessary to adapt the Fujinon multi-pin cable to RED. On the RED end of the cable, special LEMO connectors are necessary. Care must be used in making sure the cable maker follows the pinout diagrams for RED and Fujinon in making the cable.
    I take it from this quote that I would not simply be able to plug in the 12-pin cable from the Fujinon into the 10-pin on the Red in order to get Servo Power? Is there any way to get Servo Power without this custom cable (which I'm anxious to buy once it becomes available!). Thanks,

Peter

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
  #9 Lens interface 
    I take it from this quote that I would not simply be able to plug in the 12-pin cable from the Fujinon into the 10-pin on the Red in order to get Servo Power? Is there any way to get Servo Power without this custom cable (which I'm anxious to buy once it becomes available!).
    That's correct. We use a LEMO connector for enhanced reliability, and to match the other uses of this port that already used LEMO. So you will need a LEMO to Hirose adaptor. We are building up sample quantities for field tests (lab tests have been successful)
    Workflow Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Richardson View Post
    I take it from this quote that I would not simply be able to plug in the 12-pin cable from the Fujinon into the 10-pin on the Red in order to get Servo Power? Is there any way to get Servo Power without this custom cable (which I'm anxious to buy once it becomes available!). Thanks,

Peter
    Peter, I hope these photos help you understand the cable that you need. PM Pana-Tech and he should be able to advise a cost on the cable required.

In theory you should be able to control your lens servo and hit record from the lens VTR start button using the adapter cable.