Thread: Scarlet X for 3D!?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I'm in the same boat as you Les, I've ordered a couple of Scarlets that I'll be using in a SBS config, mostly shooting landscapes, so no need for a beamsplitter rig. I'm working on leaving on the side ssd which I reckon will give a IO of 120mm-130mm. I'm also interested in when the Master/Slave setup will be available on the Scarlets.

Quote Originally Posted by KETCH ROSSi View Post
    All Still glass will give similar results, no matter how good, its just simply the way the glass was designed, were none of the issues that a Cine Glass Manufacturer has to worry about, matter to the Still glass guys.

This is why we get the Motion artifacts, Breathing, Zoom movement more pronounced when zooming etc, more so in the Still glass then we do on Cine glass.

Then the more expensive it gets the more detail has been placed in this elements to make the lens as best as money can make it, were technology is not the limit.

If you must for restrictions of weight, money and or any other, test test test, you never know... ;)

But I simply give up even trying on using Still glass for 3D... :(

So Ketch, what would you do for lenses for 3D if you were on a very small budget, but needed to purchase rather than rent to allow you to experiment and learn?

Thanks for sharing so much Ketch.

I guess this question is a really hard one. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Blye View Post
    So Ketch, what would you do for lenses for 3D if you were on a very small budget, but needed to purchase rather than rent to allow you to experiment and learn?

Thanks for sharing so much Ketch.
    I would use RED PRO PRIMES... ;)

Unless you don't care much for sharpness, which for 3D you should, but to save even more you could try and find real old glass, PL mount,
    no STILL GLASS, and might find something even cheaper the the RPP's.

However the RPP's are big and heavy on the Wide Focal, so this will play against you on 3D, as it did for me with Master Primes... :(

Bottom line is that you would really need to look hard to get some small Standard Zeiss PL Glass, and that would do probably best.
    F I L M M A K E R

Thanks Ketch.

I would use RED PRO PRIMES... ;)

Unless you don't care much for sharpness, which for 3D you should, but to save even more you could try and find real old glass, PL mount,
    no STILL GLASS, and might find something even cheaper the the RPP's.

However the RPP's are big and heavy on the Wide Focal, so this will play against you on 3D, as it did for me with Master Primes... :(

Bottom line is that you would really need to look hard to get some small Standard Zeiss PL Glass, and that would do probably best.
    Ketch, rereading the thread I realize that perhaps the Zeiss CP.2s I was assuming would fit the bill for filming 3D might be included in your caution about non-PL primes. Do you think the CP.2s would work or is there no solution for the quality you're after other than PL Primes?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Blye View Post
    Ketch, rereading the thread I realize that perhaps the Zeiss CP.2s I was assuming would fit the bill for filming 3D might be included in your caution about non-PL primes. Do you think the CP.2s would work or is there no solution for the quality you're after other than PL Primes?
    Zeiss, has definitely fallen very short with the CP, so its a NO for me on them.
    F I L M M A K E R

Zeiss, has definitely fallen very short with the CP, so its a NO for me on them.
    Wow! I have to say that's a blow to me because I was counting on the Canon Mount for price and less expensive lens options. So then nothing but a PL mount leaves any real possibilities for a high quality output. That's a different situation than I was hoping for - or believing was possible. I don't suppose there is a EF to PL adaptor? My hope was a Canon Mount to use inexpensive lenses for learning and rent the high quality for production.

Steven, those that know me, know well that I am a very hard to please when it comes to glass for Cinema, for this I am extremely happy that Leica came along the way with
    even superior quality then my all time favorites, the Master Primes, however this cost 5 times that of RPP's and other glass, so don't bit you self up for my choices and give any glass a chance,
    test it yourself and make your decisions based on budget available for the purchase and needs.
    F I L M M A K E R

Steven, those that know me, know well that I am a very hard to please when it comes to glass for Cinema, for this I am extremely happy that Leica came along the way with
    even superior quality then my all time favorites, the Master Primes, however this cost 5 times that of RPP's and other glass, so don't bit you self up for my choices and give any glass a chance,
    test it yourself and make your decisions based on budget available for the purchase and needs.
    Of course you're correct - my tastes for my choices - its just I've learned to respect your opinion and any testing woud be after purchase, unfortunately, of the camera mount - so perhaps to late to change course. Small budget, lesser options and corrections. But I'll have to see what will work within my budget, as you say.

Thanks Ketch.